Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
I was shooting Burrowing Owls this weekend with the R7. On Saturday I used the R7 with the 100-500mm, but on Sunday I put the 100-500mm on the R5 and shot video while using the 100-400mm RF on the R7 to do stills. The 100-500mm works perfectly on the R7 and the eye tracking is amazing - it even grabbed the eye of a completely dark owl in a palm tree.

I found the image stabilization with the 100-400mm to be slower to lock in, though once it did it was rock solid. I also found the eye tracking to miss once in a while, which did not happen with the more expensive lens. But more than anything I experienced something completely unexpected on several occasions.

I was moving from burrow to burrow inside a neighborhood, and when I'd finish in one place I'd turn off both cameras, put them in the back seat of my car, drive to the next burrow, and take them out and start shooting. On several occasions when I started up the R7 I found that the camera had gone from Auto ISO to ISO 100 and/or shutter speed had gone from 1/640s to 1/15s, or something close to that. I know that the wheels are in different locations and have different functions, and if I'd been pixel peeping between spots I would chalk it up to spinning a wheel at the wrong time. But I don't ever touch the ISO button while shooting (and if I do, I know it), and I can see a shift of 1 or 2 spots on the shutter wheel, but that jump requires a heck of a spin.

There's likely not enough folks out there who have the R7, let alone this combination, but if anyone hears of anything around this please post a link. I actually got my copy before the rep I know, so I can't even ask him. LOL

All that said, the budget combination of the R7 and 100-400mm is an impressive wildlife rig on the cheap - provided what I'm experiencing isn't baked in - and it's light as a feather.

If I ever receive my own R7 I'll let you know if I face the same problem!

If I ever receive my own R7 I'll let you know if I face the same problem!
I pinged my pro-rep connection and he doesn't even have one yet, so it's likely early to hear about any of this. His response was that this type of stuff is normally an inadvertent touch screen or dial thing, and if it had happened once or even twice I wouldn't have posted. But it happened 4 times and changed things I never adjust or set anything to adjust.

One thing I hadn't thought of is that I hadn't set the control wheel options for that lens but I checked that yesterday and saw that it was set for focus area, as it is with other lenses. Just weird, and it hasn't happened since.

I've had my R7 since release day here in the States and haven't seen this issue. I use mine with the RF 100-500mm. When I first received the camera, I immediately customized my buttons/dials for dual back button focus, ISO 500, aperture f/4.5 (@100mm on the 100-500 lens), AV mode, and registered the settings to C1 on the Mode Dial.

Typically, I don't shut the camera off when I'm moving from spot to spot on foot. While I haven't seen my settings change like you have, I noticed that when it goes to "sleep", it will revert back to my C1 default settings when awakened. I haven't been scientific about it in any way, but I have also noticed if it's been a short time period - say, less than 10 minutes - my settings don't revert. If it's longer, then they revert to defaults. I'll have to pay more attention and report back. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot later this week or weekend.

- Terry

Terry, I have not checked in the R7 but in the R5 you can set it to revert to the previous settings or you can turn that off so it will retain new changes after going into sleep mode for C1-2-3. Check it out I'm 90% sure the R7 can be set either way.

Just checked, look for "Auto Update Set" Enable or Disable. Select Enable if you want to retain your new shutter, ISO and aperture etc upon wake up. Disable if you want C1-2-3 to always revert to your saves settings.

Last edited:
Glen -

Thanks so much for checking into this! I’ll definitely be looking at changing that particular setting next time I pick up my R7. Most likely on my lunch break from work tomorrow (Wednesday). I’ll let you know if it’s there.

Thanks again,

Terry

Glen -

The R7 has the Auto Update Set option. I’ve enabled it for the time being to see how I like it.

Thanks again!

I was shooting Burrowing Owls this weekend with the R7. On Saturday I used the R7 with the 100-500mm, but on Sunday I put the 100-500mm on the R5 and shot video while using the 100-400mm RF on the R7 to do stills. The 100-500mm works perfectly on the R7 and the eye tracking is amazing - it even grabbed the eye of a completely dark owl in a palm tree.

I found the image stabilization with the 100-400mm to be slower to lock in, though once it did it was rock solid. I also found the eye tracking to miss once in a while, which did not happen with the more expensive lens. But more than anything I experienced something completely unexpected on several occasions.

I was moving from burrow to burrow inside a neighborhood, and when I'd finish in one place I'd turn off both cameras, put them in the back seat of my car, drive to the next burrow, and take them out and start shooting. On several occasions when I started up the R7 I found that the camera had gone from Auto ISO to ISO 100 and/or shutter speed had gone from 1/640s to 1/15s, or something close to that. I know that the wheels are in different locations and have different functions, and if I'd been pixel peeping between spots I would chalk it up to spinning a wheel at the wrong time. But I don't ever touch the ISO button while shooting (and if I do, I know it), and I can see a shift of 1 or 2 spots on the shutter wheel, but that jump requires a heck of a spin.

There's likely not enough folks out there who have the R7, let alone this combination, but if anyone hears of anything around this please post a link. I actually got my copy before the rep I know, so I can't even ask him. LOL

All that said, the budget combination of the R7 and 100-400mm is an impressive wildlife rig on the cheap - provided what I'm experiencing isn't baked in - and it's light as a feather.
I have been shooting for several weeks with the R7 (+RF800f11 or RF100-500) and I occasionally encounter the same problem. In my case it is because I have assigned the ISO setting to the dial ring on each lens. I sometimes inadvertently rotate this ring, while carrying the camera in the field, viewing pics, or storing the camera into the car. Please check the assignments of the buttons and dials, I do not remember their default assignments; since I am a backfocus shooter, button/dial reassignment is one of the first things I do with any new body. Let us know when/how you solved the problem :cool: .

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back