R7 help

Renegade Viewfinder

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mario Gonzalez
I have been shooting sports for many years most recently was shooting with the EOS R (which i still have) but just got the R7 and was super excited. Took it out to the high school volleyball game and majority of my pics were blurry. This is my set up. R7 RF to EF adapter with my old sigma 70 - 200mm. I had it on person tracking, servo, H+ any suggestions what can do so this does not happen again. Thinking of just doing center point focus so does not happen again and cant afford a new lens right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By person tracking are you talking about the first position with Face Tracking? Do you have eye detect turned on? Are you using back button focus? Does the lens focus normally if you aren't shooting live action? Do you have IS turned on for the lens and/or the body? If not, what are your shutter speeds?

In other words, a few images with EXIF and a little more information would help to give you proper recommendations.
:)

On another note, when I shot Nikon I found that I needed to update the firmware on my Sigmas with every new body introduced after Sigma made any changes required to get it to work properly with the new body. You may want to contact them to see if anyone else has reported incompatibility issues with the R7, but you should be able to test that just shooting a family member or yourself in the mirror.

I had the eye tracking on. Use back button focus. My lens does not have IS. I was shooting at 4000 F2.8 1/500. I will check on the firm ware on both my cameras. Really appreciate the info

You should be able to see if the pictures are out of focus or if it's motion blur. From the specs you gave, it sounds like this was indoors or on a cloudy day. High ISO may make things a little blurry, especially if you have High ISO Noise Reduction turned on, and 1/500th may be a bit slow at 200mm, especially with the adapter which loses you another stop I think.
Post a sample please.

Part of a quick series.

Attachments

• 345A0462.JPG
    345A0462.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 345A0463.JPG
    345A0463.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 345A0464.JPG
    345A0464.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 65
Part of a quick series.
Not motion blur. The white signage on the refs' table is in perfect focus.
Looks like your AF grabbed that instead of the people. You can (at least on R6, I hope R7 as well) turn on markers of what was focused on in the playback mode (it's one of the options), to see for sure.

Make sure "Eye Detect" is on, but it should've focused on the people here...

If the shots are in the right sequence It looks to me you were following the ball and the camera locked onto the guy by the table. If it’s similar to the R5 you should be able to adjust the tracking sensitivity in the AF menu so the focus jumps more readily from one player to another.

Yeah, these are definitely focused, but not on what you want. The thing about back button (that I've found at least) is that it may not grab the subject and if it doesn't then you have to understand how "sticky" your focus setting is.

If you have eye detection on you should be able to see where the camera wants to focus before you ever depress the focus button, front or rear. This should help, though in these photos it may go for one of the people facing you first so you'll need to learn to switch off. You can help that by using a focus zone or expanded point focus where you could have moved it onto the subject first. It takes some getting used to but at least you know it focuses.

BTW, I wasn't talking camera firmware, I'm talking lens firmware. Even Sigmas that don't use the dock have firmware that may need to be updated when put on a new camera. My 105mm Macro went back to them 3 times as I kept buying new bodies.

Really appreciate the information. I did have to update the firmware on the R7 but will look into the Sigma lens update. I will just keep at it and figure out what works for me.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back