Canon RF 100-500 Pros and Cons

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

About to order this lens, now just need to figure out which store I'll buy it from.

I have Sigma EF 150-600mm so I think it's time to sell that and buy the 100-500.
One of the secrets of this lens that does not get much press is its ability to focus within about a meter at 500mm. It's a great substitute for not having a macro lens handy "in the moment".
Sonora Desert Bee-4Smaller.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 200

Yea I've seen impressive macro-ish pics with at the 500mm. I have the RF macro too, I'm just awful at carrying it around so maybe the 100-500 helps that.

As I'm slowly converting EF lenses to RF, I had interesting chat with fellow photog couple weeks ago. He had basically done all conversion already, at the event he had 2xR3 and 1xR5 plus all the lenses you could think of. He mentioned that for 70-200 he likes the EF better than RF, he said the rings and their position is worse on RF version and the EF version is easier to use. So I guess I'll keep the 70-200 EF for bit longer still. Same for 400/2.8, but that's purely due to replacement cost.

Yea I've seen impressive macro-ish pics with at the 500mm. I have the RF macro too, I'm just awful at carrying it around so maybe the 100-500 helps that.

As I'm slowly converting EF lenses to RF, I had interesting chat with fellow photog couple weeks ago. He had basically done all conversion already, at the event he had 2xR3 and 1xR5 plus all the lenses you could think of. He mentioned that for 70-200 he likes the EF better than RF, he said the rings and their position is worse on RF version and the EF version is easier to use. So I guess I'll keep the 70-200 EF for bit longer still. Same for 400/2.8, but that's purely due to replacement cost.
I shot with the EF 70-200 F2.8 for several years. The new RF version is significantly lighter and shorter when placed in a camera bag. The glass is superb. The longer you put off converting over the issue of the "operation of the lens being different" the more you miss the opportunity to become proficient with the newer configuration. This complaint can be used with camera bodies as well so ...

The savings in weight and the size when collapsed will IMHO make up for any issues with learning a new ring position on your lens. I agree that if cost is a consideration, then stay with the EF lenses you already have. If money is not a major consideration, then the advantages of the newer RF configuration have much to offer. Again JMHO.

Many of the conversion lenses I can offset some of the cost with the sale of EF lens, for example the 100-500 I can sell my old Sigma 150-600 (so it pays small fraction of the new lens, but mentally it's big difference than paying full price). For 70-200 the problem is that most likely I'll keep my 1DX and 70-200 as second back-up / assistant body even when I get second RF body (R3 or R1). 70-200 would be the perfect one to leave for that, meaning I don't think I'll be buying RF70-200 until I get second RF body.

About to order this lens, now just need to figure out which store I'll buy it from.

I have Sigma EF 150-600mm so I think it's time to sell that and buy the 100-500.
I sold my Sigma and you will not be sorry. The 100-500 is an amazing lens. I would get the 1.4x as well then you have the same reach and a little more then the Sigma.

I've been to Africa a number of times. Mostly with the EF 100-400 on a 7D2. This time R5 with RF 100-500. What a game changer.
Leopard 2-32.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 428.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 40000

Outstanding photo, and how was the Pangolin experience? My wife and I have been toying with the idea of a photo safari, and Pangolin sounds ideal. Any input would be most appreciated.

Well ordered the lens :)

Some year hopefully I get to go Africa too, I love those pictures from there.

Outstanding photo, and how was the Pangolin experience? My wife and I have been toying with the idea of a photo safari, and Pangolin sounds ideal. Any input would be most appreciated.
I cannot praise Pangolin enough. Lots of stuff on the river in boats though. The photo coaches are superb if you need help. If you don't need the coaching or loaner gear, Jaci's Tree Lodge in Madikwe was fabulous and my favorite. see Flickr.com/apkef/albums. Was on the Chobe for 7 days, the Delta for 3 days, the Kalahari for 3 days with Pangolin, then went to Jaci's in Madikwe for 4 days.

Planning next rip to Sabi Sands for 10 days and then back to Jaci's for 4 days. Definitely not going in July again as it was colder than a witche's you know what early in the morning and at sunset. Going to try to hit the end of the dry season and the beginning of the Spring (September/October). Dry season is best game viewing.
Morning Game Drive Madekwe.jpg

Your photos are fantastic, and thanks for the Pangolin feedback. We were thinking about early or late summer season, and given your experience winter is NOT the time we'd like to be there. I'm also happy that they can provide long lenses - one last thing to pack from home.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back