Canon RF 100-500 Pros and Cons

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Your photos are fantastic, and thanks for the Pangolin feedback. We were thinking about early or late summer season, and given your experience winter is NOT the time we'd like to be there. I'm also happy that they can provide long lenses - one last thing to pack from home.
They have Sigma 150-600mm EF lenses available. That's it. Check on availability by email before you go. They seemed to have several, but things change....

Well, after trying to make my mind over this lens for some time I've finally just ordered the RF100-500 + the RF1.4 extender. My EF 100-400 mkII has gone along with the EF1.4 mkIII which I have no use for now. There are some excellent part exchange deals at the moment plus 10% off the lens and extender prices.

You must be aware of the limitations of the 100-500 with the 1.4TC Ken, no problem if you are then. I must admit for the price of the converter I would be tempted to buy the R7 instead as I need a back up camera. On a recent self drive trip around South Africa I hardly used my 1.4 and stuck with the lens at 500mm as the R5 has great crop ability. There are occasions though when it's not quite enough although in the heat of Africa reach can create as many problems as it solves.

You must be aware of the limitations of the 100-500 with the 1.4TC Ken, no problem if you are then. I must admit for the price of the converter I would be tempted to buy the R7 instead as I need a back up camera. On a recent self drive trip around South Africa I hardly used my 1.4 and stuck with the lens at 500mm as the R5 has great crop ability. There are occasions though when it's not quite enough although in the heat of Africa reach can create as many problems as it solves.
Dave, yes I am aware of the extender short comings having seen a number of YT videos on the lens and the extender. Being restricted to the 300-500 range on the lens is a shame, but apart from that reviews have been positive. I felt that it's a handy thing to carry with you for the occasions it was needed. Also I'm interested in using it with my 800mm F11 when conditions make this combination posible. I've seen some good shots using these together.

Whereas the 1.4 TC performs exceptionally well with the 100-500 I was disappointed with the same on the 800 to be honest. Mind you I was hand holding and maybe that was the issue when your shutter speed has to drop to accommodate the aperture. Since I have now had the 800mm stolen I won't be replacing it as the 100-500 plus TC covers the range adequately.

Cons: Price, price and price.

Cons: Price, price and price.
The price is silly, especially when compared to Sony's excellent 200-600 lens. I have both the RF 100-500 and the Sony 200-600 since I shoot with both systems and there's no way that the 100-500 is worth £1300 more here in the UK. If I could use the 200-600 on my R5 I would do so in a flash.

Have both the RF100-500mm and EF100-400mm Mk II. I find the IQ definitely better, but not a giant leap unless you are really a pixel peeper. In favor of the RF100-500 is the extra reach and combined IBIS and Lens IS. The 100-400mm a little bigger and heavier, but even a little more so with the adapter. RF100-500mm main Downside for for me is the required 300mm focal length to mount a 1.4x TC making it a 420-700mm. Great for wildlife perhaps, but Just too long on the wide end for airshows and other sports I shoot.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back