RF 100-500

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

I just recieved mine. I ordered it from Canon USA and received it 16 days later. I can't wait to get out and shoot with it. I will be using it on my R5

The used one we received doesn't appear to be used at all, and it registered as new with Canon and the CarePak went through with no problem. I won't hesitate to purchase used from that store again.

Been using mine a little while now, very versatile lens. Added the 1.4 converter for a little extra reach. I don’t see any noticeable drop off in quality though minimum f stop has creeped up, f10 @ 700mm. The only PITA is you can’t zoom below 300mm, the converter won’t physically let you, so the lens stays extended. Despite that it’s worth considering. Shot below was taken at 700mm f1 1/400.

657CFD63-18E8-45AC-BE4C-127750380A73.jpeg

I was already to swap my EF 100-400mm L II for the RF 100-500mm, but then I found out about the restriction when using a TC. Made it a no go for me. What could have been a 100-500mm, 140-700mm, or 200-1000mm lens lost it’s appeal. Ended up getting the RF 800mm to compliment my 100-400mm/140-560mm with 1.4x TC

The inability to use a TC with the 100-500 at anything less than 420mm was something that annoyed me when I first bought the lens and I have kept my 100-400 to use alongside the former when I need to stick a TC on to extend the reach. This will only be when I'm shooting from a car or hide and when the subject matter varies in size and distance. Walking about I tend to use the 100-500 with the TC in my pocket if needs must.
Why the TCs couldn't be engineered to fit both camera and lens seems a mistake to me .
Meantime I'm thinking the 2x TC will be very limiting if it's 600-1000. You'll need good light to use at f14 and that could well mean heat haze distortion if the subject is distant. At the price of the TC I won't bother for now.

Until June I'd been shooting a D500 with 300mm f4 and 500mm f5.6 PF lenses and was utterly thrilled. I had purchased a Z6ii to start the transition to mirrorless, and given that I wasn't using it for wildlife I was fine with where it was on the development curve. Over memorial day I visited a Canon shooter who put an R5 and 100-500mm in my hands. I was blown away. They allowed me to borrow it for a long weekend and before they got it back I'd already ordered the R5 and was on multiple waiting lists for the 100-500mm. What amazed me is the OOF area quality of a zoom with this range (call it "bokeh" if you must). I'd used multiple super zooms and never had quality like this, so I was sold.

I lucked into one quicker than most and it's lived on my R5 since. Having the ability to shoot small birds and large animals that roam into the 1/4 acre that it my back yard without scrambling to change lenses or needing to have a second camera with me is just awesome. But the most unexpected bonus is the close focus range at 500mm that allows me to shoot macro-like photos at the same time. I'm with you with the TC disappointment, but if it would have meant increasing lens size and heft I'm actually OK with it being the way it is.

And to give you an idea of the range of critter size I saw in my backyard this month...

Attachments

• _61A9519-Edit-copy.jpg
    _61A9519-Edit-copy.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 70
  • _61A9011-Edit-copy.jpg
    _61A9011-Edit-copy.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
In case anyone wasn't aware (I wasn't until earlier), there is a new firmware upgrade for the RF 100-500 from beginning of October - Version 1.1.0.

I have only just downloaded and applied it ... but if you, like me, weren't aware of it's existence it is on the canon site :

In case anyone wasn't aware (I wasn't until earlier), there is a new firmware upgrade for the RF 100-500 from beginning of October - Version 1.1.0.

I have only just downloaded and applied it ... but if you, like me, weren't aware of it's existence it is on the canon site :

Looks like it only effects IS on the R3. Might leave mine be for now.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back