Dave Williams

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Williams
With weight issues a major concern nowadays I'm considering buying a 2x teleconverter to go with my RF 100-500. I have the 1.4 but as always , if you are in to bird photography you are often looking for more reach. I have owned and been happy with both the Mk2 and Mk3 EF versions, but I mount them on my 500mm f4 lens. There is a big difference in f8 and f14 especially in the light we typically have in the UK! Until I bought the 100-500 and 1.4 I didn't shoot past f8. f11 is ok on a bright day.
I did buy an RF 800mm f11 which is a nice lightweight inexpensive lens but it's considerably more bulky than having a TC in your bag. I wasn't happy with the performance with a 1.4TC or for the limited focus points that are available with that lens. It was stolen and I don't intend replacing it.
So, I'm looking for objective comments. Has anyone got one? What body and lens do you use it with? Is the IQ sharp? Is the bokeh an issue? Is it sitting unused in your bag?
Any guidance would be welcome.
TIA Dave

I have the 1.4ex and the 2ex which I use on the 100-500. The 2x AF is a little slower and the images aren't as sharp as the native lens or the native with the 1.4ex. I don't use it often, but when I do, it's OK as long as you have the light.
Lion Lunch 2 (1 of 1).jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 200.0 - 1000.0 mm
  • 1,000.0 mm
  • ƒ/14
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 1000

I don’t have the 2x, been happy with the 1.4x. I have used it on the 100-500 and 800. I have just heard the 2x is not very sharp.

My experience and use mirrors Red Cobra's. It's not that it's not sharp, just not-as-sharp. If I was shooting the 600mm f4 and not the 100-500mm it would be different, and I'm not unloading it just for that reason because maybe, just maybe, one day I'll have one. Until then I'll move the 100-500mm w 1.4TC from the R5 to the R7 if I need the extra reach without the increase in aperture.

My experience and use mirrors Red Cobra's. It's not that it's not sharp, just not-as-sharp. If I was shooting the 600mm f4 and not the 100-500mm it would be different, and I'm not unloading it just for that reason because maybe, just maybe, one day I'll have one. Until then I'll move the 100-500mm w 1.4TC from the R5 to the R7 if I need the extra reach without the increase in aperture.
Must admit, buying an R7 might be a better option as it would kill two birds as I don't currently have a back up to my R5. It won't take up much space in the bag or add much weight either. On the other hand there is rumour of a new body coming out soon and that might be a better alternative.

Must admit, buying an R7 might be a better option as it would kill two birds as I don't currently have a back up to my R5. It won't take up much space in the bag or add much weight either. On the other hand there is rumour of a new body coming out soon and that might be a better alternative.
All I'm hearing about is an R8, and if the numbering is consistent it should be less capable than the R7. I'm hearing something that's really geared to video/vlogging, but who knows. That said, if you're not in a hurry it's always good to have options. :)

For me, the different control layout on the R7 negates it for me. My fingers got confused and if I practiced with the R7 then went back to the R5, same deal. 2 R5s are best for me.

For me, the different control layout on the R7 negates it for me. My fingers got confused and if I practiced with the R7 then went back to the R5, same deal. 2 R5s are best for me.
It's a reason for me not having bought the R6 as a back up already. I'm seeing rumours of a 60mp camera maybe up soon which if it also cures the overheating problems would be an attractive proposition. That will probably be three times the price of an R7 when it arrives though.
I am aware of the need to have a back up especially as someone who I was with lost the use of theirs only two days in to a 14 day trip when it got totally immersed in sea water. I would have been totally gutted if it happened to me.

confused fingers yep and fat fingers even worse

As someone who regularly uses both, adapting between the different control layouts is confusing, yes. But after significant spending time with both I find that unless I'm switching directly from one to the other my brain rewires rather quickly. I use mine less as a "backup" than as an "alternate", and I rarely have them both actively shooting at the same time.

That said, I really wish Canon wouldn't mix things up like this. Heck, the R5 & R6 not only have different controls but they even have different remote connections - something I found out the morning of a shoot where I planned on using the R6 with a remote but had an R5 cable. It's like design teams work in a vacuum.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back