RF 24-240mm as an All-Purpose Walk-Around?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Olar

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bill Adam
City/State
Guelph, Ontario
I like the sound of the 24-240mm focal range as a general walk-around but don't like what a couple of YouTube reviewers had to say. I've just purchased an R6 and plan to use my EF 24-105 F/4 with my EF 70-200 F/4 kept handy for when that extra reach is needed. I would love to have a single lens only particularly for hiking.
Any first hand comments out there?

I have that lens and really like it, especially as a walk around lens. It gives you a great range and I have found the image quality to be excellent. I have posted a few images on this site taken with that lens. If you look through my images here: https://rfshooters.com/media/users/tmac99.224/ you will see quite a few shots with the 24-240. All the shots have EXIF data, but basically, all of the bird shots and a couple of the deer shots are 24 - 240 lens.

There is heavy vignetting out of the camera, but the available lens profile correction fixes that right up, so it's not an issue.

P.S. I also like the price of that lens compared to most of the other RF lenses.

I have that lens and really like it, especially as a walk around lens. It gives you a great range and I have found the image quality to be excellent. I have posted a few images on this site taken with that lens. If you look through my images here: https://rfshooters.com/media/users/tmac99.224/ you will see quite a few shots with the 24-240. All the shots have EXIF data, but basically, all of the bird shots and a couple of the deer shots are 24 - 240 lens.

There is heavy vignetting out of the camera, but the available lens profile correction fixes that right up, so it's not an issue.

P.S. I also like the price of that lens compared to most of the other RF lenses.
Thanks TMac99. Took a gander through your gallery of excellent images. You have convinced me the 24-240 would not disappoint. Cheers.

I like the sound of the 24-240mm focal range as a general walk-around but don't like what a couple of YouTube reviewers had to say. I've just purchased an R6 and plan to use my EF 24-105 F/4 with my EF 70-200 F/4 kept handy for when that extra reach is needed. I would love to have a single lens only particularly for hiking.
I sold my 24-105mm f/4L to get the 24-240mm. Much more useful range as a walk around lens for my purposes.

The f4L is a great lens, you do give up some build quality with the 24-240mm but not much in image quality. As for the larger aperture, with the ISO performance of the R bodies, it isn’t a major concern.

For the price (especially if you can find a used or refurb) it is a steal. Lots of great shots coming from this lens. Don’t let internet reviews mislead you. The ONLY legitimate complaint is that the lens relies pretty heavily on Auto Image Correction at the wide end. If you look at RAW files at 24mm you are going to wonder what is going on, but with a jpg or running the RAW through Ps or Lr and using the lens profile everything is fixed automatically. Even manually it is simple to correct, a little barrel, vignette, and crop is all it takes.

Here are a couple shots I’ve taken with mine.
90A93FA5-91E6-4613-8BC4-88963905B5DC.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R
  • RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 27959/44734401 sec
  • ISO 200
CD40D723-E3B5-407C-902A-007BCC2BE339.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 198.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3000001907367
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 250

I went ahead and made the purchase. Took it out on a maiden voyage yesterday and am quite pleased with the results. Here's a couple of samples. Cheers.

Attachments

• BA-210410-0641.jpg
    BA-210410-0641.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 315
  • BA-210410-0652.jpg
    BA-210410-0652.jpg
    882.2 KB · Views: 340
I have R5 and RF 24 - 240. I especially bought that combination so I don't need to swap lenses while out and about. My first use I was surprise by the weight, but don't let that even come into your thoughts, you buy a full frame camera expect a big camera and big lenses.

The combination is very well balanced. The focus is phenomenal it locks onto the eye, even a small bird at a distance and stays there. Zoom is smooth and easy to adjust.

Ignore any reviews about the barrowing and pin cushioning. Canon have done something amazing with the on board software, there is no hint of errors in a JPG. I ignore all personal reviews, I only read reviews by professional and reliable review websites such as DP Review and Imaging-Resources

Get a UV filer and a soft collapsible rubber lens hood to protect the front end, see my other post about lens protection.

Are you talking about the non L 24-240

I have one for my R5. The 2 together is a beast. I don't know what it is but the balance is very satisfying. Its a difficult phenomenon to explain, its heavy no doubt about it, at the same time it work.

I've only used it very near home, not had to lug it about for hours. The engineering is superb, zooming and manual focusing is smooth. The eye tracking is total magic. Im in love with its ability to reduce DOF, makes the subject jump out from the background.

I recommend this for its zoom range, the R5 compensate technically for the slowness of the lens, I can get 8 stops advantage. I recommend this lens for other reasons too. One of them being, its so in your face its a statement of camera prowess.

If in doubt rent it

Some of the biggest challenges you find with non L lenses is vignetting, hunting, and lens speed. Canon makes great lenses in general. It's all about performance for the price.

I have used STM and kit lenses in starting my journey. I thought the quality was great for my needs at the time. As I grew in my skillset, I looked to the L lenses for the above purposes. If and when the time comes that you may make money at this artform, you may choose the shell out the $ for these expensive, but high quality lenses. I hope this makes sense.

Some of the biggest challenges you find with non L lenses is vignetting, hunting, and lens speed. Canon makes great lenses in general. It's all about performance for the price.

I have used STM and kit lenses in starting my journey. I thought the quality was great for my needs at the time. As I grew in my skillset, I looked to the L lenses for the above purposes. If and when the time comes that you may make money at this artform, you may choose the shell out the $ for these expensive, but high quality lenses. I hope this makes sense.
That's true about most things in life.

One phrase that comes to mind, buy cheap pay twice.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back