Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
I searched this forum and could not find anything about this comparison.

I own the 18-150 but I have been tempted to buy the EF-S 55-250 after reading reviews that point the good quality glass on this lens.

The point is that I'm getting good pictures from the 18-150 but I do not know if optically the EF-S is better or not. I'm planning to use both lenses as Traveling lenses. For this purpose the 18-150 works very well but if the EF-S 55-250 is that good I would sacrifice the range for better quality results.

Last edited:
Hi....For me that is a lot of range to sacrifice if you only carry one lens and for marginally better quality if any at all. On your R7 55 is 88 equivalent as you know, so you effectively have no wide angle option and for most general travel most would at some point need wide angle ability. But your style may eliminate the need for wider shots! I used to use a 70-200 on the 80 D almost exclusively for a long time before getting the 10-18 and found a whole new way of looking at things, hence I purchased the 24-105 when I changed to the R6.

EF-S 55 is RF-S 55, it’s not 88.

Hi....For me that is a lot of range to sacrifice if you only carry one lens and for marginally better quality if any at all. On your R7 55 is 88 equivalent as you know, so you effectively have no wide angle option and for most general travel most would at some point need wide angle ability. But your style may eliminate the need for wider shots! I used to use a 70-200 on the 80 D almost exclusively for a long time before getting the 10-18 and found a whole new way of looking at things, hence I purchased the 24-105 when I changed to the R6.
I see your point but if you check my pages I’m not a landscape photographer. Many people prefer 50mm for street photography, so I don’t have any doubt that 55-250 mm will work for me but I’m trying to avoid this time around to have duplicate lenses (covering the same range).

So what I want to know is quality wise which one is better.

Last edited:
I couldn't find any direct comparison online in articles or videos so looked at individual reviews for the 55-250 (I looked at reviews for the 18-150 two weeks ago before a mate purchased it). Based on those reviews I couldn't see anything suggesting to me that the quality of one is better than the other, and if I was the one considering it then I would continue with the 18-150. Someone else may have an opinion to offer.

I couldn't find any direct comparison online in articles or videos so looked at individual reviews for the 55-250 (I looked at reviews for the 18-150 two weeks ago before a mate purchased it). Based on those reviews I couldn't see anything suggesting to me that the quality of one is better than the other, and if I was the one considering it then I would continue with the 18-150. Someone else may have an opinion to offer.

Exactly, I could not find anything comparing both. I love to take candid pictures when I'm traveling and for that purpose the 55-250 range works a lot better than 18-150, in my opinion. I may end buying it.

PS: PB Aus, I love your landscape pictures.

I have been asking the same question in other places, including Amazon and here is one of the best answers I have collected.

Both are sharp. But:
the 18-150 @ 150mm is f/6.3
the 55-250 @ 250mm is f/5.6

If you like a wider walk around lens - 18-150 is a great range for landscapes and street photography.

If you like a longer walk around lens - the 55-250 is great for nature & wildlife, but also street photography.

The 18-150 is a higher quality build and heavier than the 55-250.

Willi

· October 4, 2022

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back