Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
I'll admit I mainly got my R7 for use with my RF 7-200 f/4 and also my Tamron 150-600mm G2 EF mount lens. I didn't really need either of the RF-S lenses that were released with the R7 and R10 as I have a Tamron 18-400mm EF mount lens. But I would not mind a wide angle zoom much like my EF-M 11-22mm for my M5. I do have a Tokina 12-24mm for the EF-S cameras so I can use it with the RF-EF adapter but it's a bit big for just walking around. Kind of surprised Canon did not introduce a wide angle RF-S wide angle yet.

I was wondering the same thing since I bought the R7 for my hiking escapades and the lighter lenses would be just the thing. I’ve ended up sticking the 24-240mm on it and it’s working out very nicely. It’s not as light as those S lenses would be, the alternative is certainly better than carrying around the 24-70mm which is much, much heavier. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

If you want small and light, try the RF 16mm f/2.8. It fits - with its lens hood reversed - in a pocket of my jacket in a drawstring bag, with room to spare, and has the angle of view on the APS-C R bodies of a 25.6mm lens on a full frame camera.

Not an ultra-wide angle, but very nice.

I've held onto my EF-S 11-18 for extreme situations, but that's quite a bit bigger and heavier - the 16 is nice to have in a pocket for spur-of-the-moment shots.

Last edited:
I don’t have the RF16mm f/2.8 but i do have the RF50mm f/1.8 and RF14-35mm f/4 which are small and light weight as well. The 50mm and the 14-35mm do find significant time on the R7. I think the 16mm is roughly the same size as the 50mm so I completely agree with you about shooting about those spur of the moment shots.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back