Dave Williams

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Williams
Who has them? Which one/s? ......and with which lens do you use it with?

I have just ordered the 1.4 to go with the 100-500 which pushes the aperture to f10 at 700mm. Has anyone got the 2x to use with this lens? What are the results like? Do you lose AF points when using it? Is it slow to AF? Loss of IQ?

Were these teleconverters released ahead of their time to match up with the RF super telephotos when they are eventually released?

I find it hard too imagine that either work particularly well with the RF 600 and 800mm f11 lenses but perhaps you know better!

Please share your findings.

I don't have either of the teleconverters yet. I am thinking about the 1.4x to go with my 100-500 though so please let me know how you get on with it Dave.

Will do Timothy.
Considering the cost of the TC, especially the 2x, vs that of an 800mm RF you do wonder which you should buy although from a portability point of view the TC is obviously a lot smaller!

I have both the 1.4 and the 2.0. I use the 1.4 on my 100-500 lens more often because I can still track flying birds with the eye focus setting quite easily and can still be handheld. It’s much more difficult as the field of view narrows.

I have both the 1.4 and the 2.0. I use the 1.4 on my 100-500 lens more often because I can still track flying birds with the eye focus setting quite easily and can still be handheld. It’s much more difficult as the field of view narrows.
Anything you can add about the 2.0xTC in terms of AF speed, IQ etc would be very gratefully received Karen !!

Has anyone compared the RF teleconverters with the adapted EF ones? Any loss of image quality?

Are you asking if there is a loss of quality using an EF TC on the R5 using an adapter then the answer in my opinion is no more than there might be on a DSLR. the 1.4 none, the 2.0x not as sharp but still very good.
If you are asking about the RF TC on an RF lens my experience is extremely limited as I have only just received mine and I only have the 100-500 RF lens. So far the images look suitably sharp BUT when you stick a TC on a lens then you loose light due to the narrower aperture. As yet Canon haven't really released lenses that should really combine well with the RF TC's. The obvious choice you'd think would be the RF 70-200 f2.8 but they are not compatible. So you have a choice of three,. the RF 100-500, 600 and 800.
I can't see the 2x being top of anyone's shopping list but some have chosen it over the 1.4. Reach isn't the only thing to consider, you need light.

I don't have either of the teleconverters yet. I am thinking about the 1.4x to go with my 100-500 though so please let me know how you get on with it Dave.
I picked up the rf 2x and in the instruction manual it states not to install it at 300 mm that it could damage the lens ... i too have the 100-500 ... the canon rep stated that the 1.4 might be preferable ... i acquired my 2x before i realized that i could change the camera from full to 1.6 crop onboard camera

I picked up the rf 2x and in the instruction manual it states not to install it at 300 mm that it could damage the lens ... i too have the 100-500 ... the canon rep stated that the 1.4 might be preferable ... i acquired my 2x before i realized that i could change the camera from full to 1.6 crop onboard camera
Can you not install it at 400mm then wind the lens back in?

Can you not install it at 400mm then wind the lens back in?

Extender Zoom Restrictions​

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, the only slightly negative aspect of the 100-500mm is that it is restricted to a widest focal length of 300mm when used with either of the new RF mount Extenders. As you can see in the following image, the rubber-coated lens element protruding out of the Extenders prevents the back element of the lens from moving to back to its full extent. This means that instead of a 200-1000mm lens with the 2X Extender, we get a 600-1000mm lens, and with the 1.4X Extender, we’re looking at a 420-700mm lens. This does reduce the versatility of the lens when combined with the Extenders and was a bit of a disappointment, but this is the first time that the shorter distance between the back of the lens and the sensor has added a negative aspect to Canon’s RF Mount and Mirrorless line-up.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back