Cory

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Cory
Are any of you RP people "upgrading" to the R8 or, even though the R8 is declared "better", does it really matter in most cases?
I do try to avoid GAS if at all possible.
Many thanks and I'm just a good, solid enthusiast and also use my RP for stationary on-a-tripod indoor YouTube videos.

I upgraded from an RP to an R5 years ago, the most noticeable improvement was that the electronic shutter was actually usable. I think 90% of my shooting now uses electronic shutter, EFCS is only used when I need a flash.

For that kind of upgrade, it’s about the 5%.

I just took my R6II on vacation and found myself wondering if my RP could have done that (whatever shot it was at the time). Probably 95% of the time, sure.

But the animal eye AF at the zoo was cool. I’d just use spot with my RP. But the spot was never small enough for birds heads and my RP would get confused by the background sometimes. Now I just have the best composition to choose from. Not the best composition and in focus or not.

With a fast moving animal, the hit rate was much higher. They did a Cheetah demo where I got to use 40 fps e-shutter. AF kept up and I have shots from the entire range of running motions, so I can get the perfect stride. I’d have to get really lucky at 3 fps and only two passes of the cat with my RP.

The supposed difference in dynamic range, I’m just left to wonder. I am finding shadow lifting much cleaner now that I’m home and editing. That said, I can’t know exactly with my shots if I was really pushing anything.

Don’t know if that helps.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back