Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Joseph Boza
City/State
Phoenix, Arizona
One of the best aspects of being a photography hobbyist is that I get to spend my time behind the camera, not in front if it. ;)

Yet, even with that cloak of protection there are times where I need to actually have a self portrait taken. It has been several (and I mean several) years since I sat in front of the camera. As fate would have it with some changes at work a few months ago, I had a need for a refreshed portrait (for introductions and a general update of my online photo as well) so it was "time." Sigh.

I grabbed my Canon R6 with the RF 100mm F2.8 L Macro, pulled out the backdrop, and set up my Godox V1C in a Angler Fastbox Octagonal Softbox and a reflector, then took some shots using the Canon BR-E1 remote. I don't have a dedicated studio, so this was all set up in our kitchen.

Overall I am very pleased with how the whole project came together, and think the self portraits shared here were my favorite. I'm quite intrigued with "the Most Interesting Man in the World" (see Wikipedia for more) vibe of my pose. :D The images were shot in Raw then converted to DNG and processed with C1, with the B&W conversion performed in Exposure X7 using the Fuji Neopan 100 preset. These versions have been slightly downsized for the interwebs.

This was a fun little project, and I was able to take advantage of the set-up to take some new portraits of my wife and a few of us as a couple as well. I might post those separately from this thread.

This is probably a little vane posting these here, but I liked the shots and thought it was time to share. Thanks for indulging me. :)

--

P.S. - In case you notice, the answer is "yes" ... many, many years ago I had an argument with a door and managed to lose the tip of my middle finger on my left hand. It's become part of who I am over the years.

Attachments

• casa-b_misc_20220621_boza_017_pp-ps_fuji-neopan-100-acros.jpg
    casa-b_misc_20220621_boza_017_pp-ps_fuji-neopan-100-acros.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 72
  • casa-b_misc_20220621_boza_017_pp-ps_original.jpg
    casa-b_misc_20220621_boza_017_pp-ps_original.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Great shots Joseph! If I could take self-portraits this well I'd happily share mine too! :)

Nice work. Last time I had to renew my passport I did a self portrait

Nice work. Last time I had to renew my passport I did a self portrait
My passport expires soon, so I guess I'll need to do this again (according to official approved guidelines)!

Really nice shot. I'm terrible with portraits, so I use UPS for my passport photo.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back