Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David Miller
City/State
Kirkland, WA
So I have been watching Jared Polin video on R5 user guide... Just curious if everyone turns off the following settings?

Long exp. noise reduction
High ISO speed NR

They are turned on by default.

I turn mine on to the max, but haven't researched it. Is there a downside to maxing out noise reduction?

Well I have learned more. First it is a yes or no thing. Not sure if you are just being funny. It also appears to only apply to JPG which I don’t shoot. Leaving it turned off for me.

I turn mine on to the max, but haven't researched it. Is there a downside to maxing out noise reduction?

As David mentioned, it seems to only apply to jpg files. However, to answer your question, yes, the downside to noise reduction is it scrubs fine detail away too. So it’s best to use the least amount as possible.

Not sure if you are just being funny.
Not trying to be funny.

First it is a yes or no thing.
Long exp NR, yes. High ISO speed NR - no. The latter has three levels (at least on R6. I assumed R5 is the same): Low, Standard, High.

NR.jpg

This lead me to think that there must be a trade-off of some sort; otherwise why wouldn't you want to always reduce noise? Still curious.

Yes this is moot when shooting RAW. I only shoot JPG. Have enough post-processing without having to convert/adjust. Maybe I'll grow up to using RAW one day.

the downside to noise reduction is it scrubs fine detail away too. So it’s best to use the least amount as possible.
Ah, and there's my answer. Thanks.

Jarod Polin's R5 movie from FroKnowsPhotos.com is much easier to watch than trying to read the Canon manual. I learnt a whole lot more

The downside of Long exp. noise reduction is the fact that it shoots 2 shots. The second with the shutter closed. Net result is it takes 2X the time to shoot a shot. At longer exposures like 30 seconds it then takes a full 60 seconds to capture the shot. I do night photography on an Equatorial Mount and will capture dozens (up to 100) of shots over the course of a night. I can't afford the extra time spent in that mode. I depend on Deep Sky Stacker to process and remove the noise.

The R5 goes thru battery's . Twice as many as the R7 Both taking the same count of photos. So turning as much off helps. I think its well known that Canon bakes in noise reduction even in RAW.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back