Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sigma has announced the first of 6 DC DN (APS-C) autofocus lenses coming to the Canon RF mount and this first one is the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN Contemporary Lens.

The lens is already available to pre-order with a price tag of $599.00 in the US or £479.00 in the UK.

sigma-18-50-canon-rf.png

This lens has been available on other mounts for some time already but Sigma has now added an RF mount version along with AF drive and communication speed optimization specifically for Canon RF Mount.

Key Specs

Focal Length18 to 50mm (35mm Equivalent: 29 to 80mm)
Maximum / Minimum Aperturef/2.8 / f/22
Lens MountCanon RF
Lens Format CoverageAPS-C
Focus TypeAutofocus
Image StabilizationNo
Filter Size55 mm (Front)
Angle of View76.5° to 31.7°
Minimum Focus Distance4.8" / 12.1 cm
Maximum Magnification0.36x
Optical Design13 Elements in 10 Groups
Diaphragm Blades7, Rounded

Early Reviews

Pre-orders
The Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN can already be pre-ordered and will start shipping in Mid-July 2024.

B&H Photo (affiliate link)

I'm on the fence about whether I want to pick one of these up or not. I have an R7. I have the RF 24-105 f/4 lens or the 70-200mm f/4 that I usually use with my R7. But having a f/2.8 zoom lens for the R7 would be nice to complement my R6 mk II when I have my 24-70 f/2.8 on it instead.

I'll probably wait until there are some more units out in the wild and see what the consensus is after people have a chance to use them for a while. If it was a longer zoom lens and f/2.8 I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

If Tamron would release their 35-150mm f/2-2.8 for the RF mount, I'd pre order that the first day they were available.

Got my copy of this lens last night - it's nice and small and light, but there's a gumption trap: what looks like a manual focus ring is actually an unlabeled Focus/Control ring with no physical switch, so you have to go into the camera's Focus tab and find the option on that tab's last page to set Focus/Control rings to Focus, not Control.

Then it will work as a manual focus ring.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back