Canon R5 Considering an R5 for Wildlife

I’ve been reading that the R6 is a better camera. Handles low light really well compared to the R5.

I can't speak for the R6 but do love my R5 for wildlife. The 45 megapixels are really helpful as I can rarely get as close as I would like to my subjects, apart from the birds in my garden! :)

You can see a full list of RF lenses over on our blog here: https://rfshooters.com/blog/lenses/

But for wildlife if you want to stick to native lenses then your options today are:

Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
Canon RF 600mm F11 IS STM
Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM
Canon RF 400mm F2.8 L IS USM
Canon RF 600mm F4 L IS USM

I love my RF 100-500 but I think it's terribly overpriced, especially if compared to Sony's 200-600 lens which is very good and around $900 less.

I’ve been reading that the R6 is a better camera. Handles low light really well compared to the R5.
with all those megapixels the R5 does a very decent job with noise and with Topaz DeNoise its not a problem at all.

Better? 20mps vs 45mps. The diff in low light ability is very very small in real life. Bought a R6, sent it back and bought a second R5.

I own the R6 and am very happy with it; the sensor is the best on any digital camera I have owned. If I could have afforded it, I would have purchased the R5.

I shot Nikon for wildlife for 10 years. Someone put an R5 with 100-500mm in my hand and I sold off my Nikon gear. I have both the R5 and R6, which I use for non-wildlife stuff, and I can count the number of times I've had R5 noise that was too much to handle with Topaz Denoise AI on one hand. The 45MP's make for big files and slower processing at times, but 20MP's isn't enough unless you're going to be filling the frame all the time.

with all those megapixels the R5 does a very decent job with noise and with Topaz DeNoise its not a problem at all.
I have not had a need for denoise in a long time. If fact, I am a little surprised to hear anyone is still using this software in general. Of course, it is not like I interact with many people; 99% of my interaction is on social media.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back