Canon R5 Considering an R5 for Wildlife

I find DxO 's Deep Prime to be better than the Topaz NR, and i like the lens and camera profiles in the DxO stuff better than Adobe.
All my raw files go to DxO Deep Prime before I even start work on them. The difference is noticeable when compared.

Last edited:
No one has mentioned Lightroom Classic's Denoise, which I find works very well. If LR is already part of your workflow, it only costs and additional small amount of time to apply Denoise there. In the comparisons I've seen it is approximately as good as DXO's Pure Raw and slightly better than Topaz Denoise through their Photo AI app.

No one has mentioned Lightroom Classic's Denoise, which I find works very well. If LR is already part of your workflow, it only costs and additional small amount of time to apply Denoise there. In the comparisons I've seen it is approximately as good as DXO's Pure Raw and slightly better than Topaz Denoise through their Photo AI app.
Been definitely mentioned here. Does a good job denoising, sure, but to call it "approximately as good as DXO" ignores the fact that it has no AI sharpening. Long story short, I can use Lr to replicate what I get from Pure Raw 3 on almost any image. If I have 5 shots I might be consider eating the time required. If I have 25 I've now cost myself over an hour just in denoise and sharpening time with no other processing just to get where I'd be with one click and a trip to the can while I wait. If I shoot 25 images every time I go out and I go out 4-5 times a week I'm now losing almost a day every month just in denoise time (plus it takes on average 20-30% longer to apply in my experience). That's not "small" by any stretch in my book.

Not sure what your time is worth, or how much you shoot, and I'm not being flippant about the cost of the software because it's something that took me months to consider paying for. But these are things you have to factor when you shoot any significant amount. Pure Raw 3 has already paid for itself in time saved for me. I wish it had a bit of the tweakability factor that Lr and Topaz provide, but I can think of maybe 2 or 3 out of over 1000 images where I've said, "Nah, let me try something else - that doesn't look right".

I was referring to this particular thread with my comment about not mentioning LR Classic Denoise. I realize it is discussed elswhere on this forum. LRC does apply sharpening also, it's just not "advertised". My bird images are regularly cropped, which speeds up LRC Denoise, which I agree can be slow when applied to the entire frame. My workflow is usually LRC to Photoshop, where I often invoke Topaz Photo AI. There I can get all the additional controlled sharpening I want, and rather quickly. I can also mask, in Photoshop, certain areas of the Photo AI image for less sharpening which is sometimes useful. I haven't tried DXO Pure Raw since version 1. I felt it was often oversharpening then and there was no control on the amount, so I left it behind and adopted my current approach, which works well for me. I guess to each his own.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back