Up Sizing an image

Welcome to Our Canon RF Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Onesickpuppy

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Rod Jeffers
When I want to do a large print....lets say a 24x36.....and I have a processed file that is saved as a jpg from raw it shows file is at maybe 2.5 meg.
How do I enlarge the file to be a 24 meg file.....or what size should it be for doing the 24x36 print?

Jake Shoots Birds

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
For all my large prints I use Topaz Gigapixel AI to create a JPEG at the actual dimensions of the print with 150dpi or higher (depends on what I start with). The latter is the most critical for printing and you should check with the folks printing it to see what they recommend. File size is not a good measure of resolution since it depends largely on image content. Gigapixel does a great job. I recently took a 1500x1000px photo taken with a drone and enlarged it for a 48x32" print on canvas and it came out great.

Topaz allows you to try their stuff for free if you want to give it a shot. Right now (thru the end of the day) everything is 25% off, and if you use this link to go there you'll get another 15% off on top of that. I also use DeNoise AI on just about everything, and there's a bundle with Gigapixel, Denoise and Sharpen AI on sale for $149 (or $127 with the add'l 15%). Gigapixel alone is on sale for $75 so it's like getting one app for free, and Sharpen is very good at fixing slightly soft photos. I love their products.

Last edited:

Jimn Jax

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Davenport
When I want to do a large print....lets say a 24x36.....and I have a processed file that is saved as a jpg from raw it shows file is at maybe 2.5 meg.
How do I enlarge the file to be a 24 meg file.....or what size should it be for doing the 24x36 print?
After doing my edit in Lightroom I export the file as a tiff file if I am going to print it. I also export as a jpeg for use on social media, etc.

RedCobra

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
A Kefauver
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
+1 on Gigapixel. I find it better than the new superrez in PS. And you can do more than 2x.

Hali

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Another +1 for Gigapixel. It works so much better than what PS has to offer. Well worth spending the money for.

* Remove Ads by Becoming a   Pro Member   *

Latest reviews

• Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
    5.00 star(s)
    Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
    Use this successfully with EFS18-55 and EFS55-250 on both RP and R10. Quick focusing response in either camera. Small enough to fit in a pants...
    • TandemYardsPhotography
  • Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
    5.00 star(s)
    Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
    I have the standard and the control ring adaptor , other than the control ring the pro’s are the same but the ability to easily customise the...
    • Rob2563
  • Prime Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM
    5.00 star(s)
    First RF PRIME lens
    This is definitely one of a great lens. I recommend it for people who does portrait photography. I use them in Weddings and Events if I need to...
    • sinbadking
  • Prime Canon RF 600mm F11 IS STM
    5.00 star(s)
    The 600mm f/11 is a viable option not just something to be 'settled for' by people who wanted more
    The tendency for reviewers and 'experts' is to point out that the 600mm f/11 is not as long as the 800 and not as fast as the big and expensive EF...
    • dougsmit
  • Kolari EF-EOS R Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter
    5.00 star(s)
    Review of the Kolari EF-EOS R Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter and drop-in filters.
    After waiting months with no success for delivery of a similar adapter system from a another 3rd-party maker, this spring I purchased the Kolari...
    • Paulie G

* Remove Ads by Becoming a   Pro Member   *