Canon R7 cRAW vs. RAW, any Technical Issues?

lassevk

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
City/State
Porsgrunn
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I don't know why, but I was under the impression that Lightroom Classic was unable to handle cRAW, and that I had to use DPP4 to process them, hence I have just configured the camera for RAW and promptly forgot all about it.

Today I tested, and I found that both Lightroom Classic and DxO PureRAW 2 processed the file just fine.

So, given that my own tests, and various articles and Youtube videos all seem to conclude that there isn't a perceivable difference between the two, is there any technical issues with just going for cRAW full time?

Note, I'm specifically *not* asking if you think or feel there is an image quality difference, I'm asking if there is something I won't be able to do, like any particular kind of software that can't use it or whatnot, that should prevent me from using cRAW? Obviously, if you have experienced notable image quality differences I am interested in hearing it, but I'm really just asking if going cRAW would actually be a showstopper in some cases, specifically with software support or similar.

I haven't heard of any compatibility issues attributed to compression of the RAW files.

Only thing I will say is that, in my experience, if you heavily crop and then try to pull detail from the shadows, RAW is better than cRAW. YMMV.

Only thing I will say is that, in my experience, if you heavily crop and then try to pull detail from the shadows, RAW is better than cRAW. YMMV.
But that scenario is the exception not the rule. At least 90% of the time. Also depends a lot on what camera are you using. A full frame camera will save a lot more details in shadows.

But overall you are right. RAW is better than CRAW which is not a lossless compression.

Last edited:
But that scenario is the exception not the rule. At least 90% of the time. Also depends a lot on what camera are you using. A full frame camera will save a lot more details in shadows.

But overall you are right. RAW is better than CRAW which is not a lossless compression.
For me as a wildlife and BIF shooter on an R5 that is more or less the rule.
Yellow Billed Hornbill diving.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 400

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back