Followers
Following
Name
Don Roos
City/State
Cape Town
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have a 580EX II that I bought to use with my 5DII, expecting it to work on the R7. I then read the manual and it says you need an adapter to use it. I asked on FB and a few people have said I don't need it. I am afraid of damaging the camera. I put the flash on and switched the camera and flash on to see but I have not taken a shot yet. Anyone tried it and have any advice

Don, did you manage to come right?
I had the same question, and ODP in Pretoria were going to look into it but never came back.
After some more research I also came to the conclusion that this is specific to weather sealing, and I found some official compatibility matrix saying no problem.

My 580 mk1 works fine on the R7. Don't think I wil get the recommended adapter.

Don, did you manage to come right?
I had the same question, and ODP in Pretoria were going to look into it but never came back.
After some more research I also came to the conclusion that this is specific to weather sealing, and I found some official compatibility matrix saying no problem.

My 580 mk1 works fine on the R7. Don't think I wil get the recommended adapter.
I have had no update from Orms and have not had occation to use a flash so have not tried shooting with the 580 on the R7 yet. I have had it on and turned on but not actually fired a shot. Also re-considering buying the adapter.

My M3 also came with one but my 400D and 5DII did not. Seems it is a feature on newer cameras
My M50 came with one. You can also search on ebay to find lots of them... and they're cheap.

My R6 Mk2 came with a cover for the flash shoe, whereas the previous Mk1 did not. I’ve used my 580EX II on my R6 Mk1 with no issues but haven’t yet tried it on my Mk2.

I've not tried it myself but from what I've read it should work fine on the R7. However, you will need the Canon Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 to retain weather sealing. So if you plan to use it outdoors in wet weather it might be best to invest in the adapter which is a bit of a rip-off unfortunately.
I have a 430EX, 430EX RT3 and 600EX RT2. All fit and work as expected on my R7 (and R10 that I tried) without any adapter. I would never consider using flash outdoors in the rain, so the adapter is not needed for my uses.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back