Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
While shooting today I was using Electronic-First Curtain and high burst rate when I experienced multiple occurrences of the viewfinder going black while shooting. Sometimes at the beginning of the burst, sometimes after 10-20 frames were shot. It would go black for anywhere between 2-5 frames and then come back. The shots taken during those times were fine, it was just the viewfinder that went black. I pinged my pro rep friend and he said he'd never heard of anyone experiencing it and asked if I was using a 3rd party battery. I was, but I'd been using those same batteries for months without ever experiencing this.

Anyone here ever have this happen?

this can actually happen from using a cheaper memory card , so the memory card wont be able to play keep up with the camera firing first. had same issue with sandisk memory card the better quality one or so i thought so i switched to prograde and never a problem and i also write it to my CF mini style B card instead of going to my regular style memory card which also does make a diffrence

I've been having this problem since I got my 100-500. I think it's the battery and the card. I am ditching my third party batteries. I thought my Sony tough card was pretty good but I hear it's not, so I'm going to get a prograde one and see if that helps.

Thanks, folks. I've got a killer card, so it's got to be the battery. I have 4 off-brand batteries (and 2 Canon) and never had an issue before, so I marked the one that gave me an issue and I won't use it again until I'm simply testing it to see if it happens again. I stuck a Canon battery back in yesterday and zero issues. I'll save the others for the R6 since I rarely shoot in continuous mode on that one.

So, I went out and bought a ProDigital card that is considered top of the line. Opened it, put it in the camera, and haven't had a chance to go shoot. Today I saw (Thanks Timothy and RedCobra for the heads up) that Canon realized that the problem was them, not the card, not the batteries and posted a FW update. Here's to hoping that really works. Now I have 3 128 GB CF Express cards, lol, I just have to go out and find something fun to shoot.

My new R5 is blacking out both EVF and rear screen. I have a fully charged Canon issued battery and a new CFExpress 128Mb Card.
Any suggestions to rectify would be appeciated.

My new R5 is blacking out both EVF and rear screen. I have a fully charged Canon issued battery and a new CFExpress 128Mb Card.
Any suggestions to rectify would be appeciated.
Is it only happening with the Sigma lens Doug or native Canon RF lenses as well? Which Sigma lens is it and which adapter are you using?

Is it only happening with the Sigma lens Doug or native Canon RF lenses as well? Which Sigma lens is it and which adapter are you using?
I have a new Integral Ultima Pro X2 CFExpress card
While shooting today I was using Electronic-First Curtain and high burst rate when I experienced multiple occurrences of the viewfinder going black while shooting. Sometimes at the beginning of the burst, sometimes after 10-20 frames were shot. It would go black for anywhere between 2-5 frames and then come back. The shots taken during those times were fine, it was just the viewfinder that went black. I pinged my pro rep friend and he said he'd never heard of anyone experiencing it and asked if I was using a 3rd party battery. I was, but I'd been using those same batteries for months without ever experiencing this.

Anyone here ever have this happen?
I have a new Integral Ultima Pro X2 CFExpress memory card and the new supplied, fully chsrged Canon battery. The black out has occured with my EF-S 18mm - 55mm lens, 100mm - 400mm MkII lens, and the Sigma 150mm - 600mm Contempory lens. I have the standard EF - R Converter.
Thanks for your input.

I have a new Integral Ultima Pro X2 CFExpress card

I have a new Integral Ultima Pro X2 CFExpress memory card and the new supplied, fully chsrged Canon battery. The black out has occured with my EF-S 18mm - 55mm lens, 100mm - 400mm MkII lens, and the Sigma 150mm - 600mm Contempory lens. I have the standard EF - R Converter.
Thanks for your input.
Not sure what to make of this issue now? Before taking it back to the retailer for comment, I triad the various lens' again, in mechanical and electronic mode, and full frame and crop frame. I also put my 1.4 Converter Mk III on the EF 100mm - 400mm. The only issue I could raise, was the auto focus was a deal slower with the Sigma 150mm - 600mm. Having seen various video's on thie latter's compatibility with the 'R' series camera's, it looks like I will need to have the Sigma lens re-calibrated!!!!
I feel an RF 100mm - 500mm swap coming on... sincere thanks for the help and advise from those who addressed my issue. Hopefully it is just the 3rd party lens and I can relax and not worry about a blnk screen/EVF again. By for now đź‘Ť

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back