Steinr98

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ronald Stein
I went into Menu, Red #6 and turned on "Remote Shooting" (normally disabled). According to what I can find, the remote should start a video or let me shoot a photo ?? Nothing happens in either case. There must be another setting or ?? that I' m missing. I have tried several remotes, in photo and video settings. I cannot find anything in the advanced manual to support anything more than Red # 6 settings ??? And yes I did set the auto/ Manual focus first.
Thanks!

Have you tried checking that "Self timer / Remote" option is selected via the M-Fn button? Long shot I know.
Also might be worth trying both Mechanical and Electronic shutter options as some features are shutter related.

Last edited:
If using a wired remote (RS-80N3 or TC-80N3) you do not need to do anything other than plug the remote into the socket on the camera. The button on the remote will operate in the same way as the shutter release on the camera (so if you've enabled bbf then it will not auto focus). Just confirmed with my R5 and RS-80N3 remote that nothing else needs changing - just plug it in.

I am unable to track down any mention of "Remote Shooting" on the Shoot6 menu. I've checked all three versions of the EOS R5 Advanced User Guide that I know of covering firmware versions 1.2.0 or later, 1.3.0 or later and 1.5.0 or later, none make any mention of "Remote Shooting" on the shoot6 menu.

Can you confirm which camera model and firmware version you have please and which remote controllers you've tried. I'll then see if I can help further to solve this for you.

If you've alreday worked it out, please let us all know as it may help someone else in a similar situation in the future.

If using a wired remote (RS-80N3 or TC-80N3) you do not need to do anything other than plug the remote into the socket on the camera. The button on the remote will operate in the same way as the shutter release on the camera (so if you've enabled bbf then it will not auto focus). Just confirmed with my R5 and RS-80N3 remote that nothing else needs changing - just plug it in.

I am unable to track down any mention of "Remote Shooting" on the Shoot6 menu. I've checked all three versions of the EOS R5 Advanced User Guide that I know of covering firmware versions 1.2.0 or later, 1.3.0 or later and 1.5.0 or later, none make any mention of "Remote Shooting" on the shoot6 menu.

Can you confirm which camera model and firmware version you have please and which remote controllers you've tried. I'll then see if I can help further to solve this for you.

If you've alreday worked it out, please let us all know as it may help someone else in a similar situation in the future.
Sorry I some what did a error- k want to use a remote shooting "Video"- So when in "Video" and one goes to red # 6 and down to turn on-off remote, Turned it on and it still does not work with any canon remote- I have tried wired Canon remotes-TC-8n3, RS-80N3- off brand intervalometer. Using David Busch's book on the R5, this is what it says SEE BELOW- On another note:My R65 Went to Canon repair as something happened to the focusing- so I have to wait for a return to try anything- I do appreciate your help! Again sorry for the confusion on the "Video" Red- #6- Camera Is the R5, firmware was 1.5.2 the latest. Thanks JayAy!! I shall keep this entry handy!!
Movie Remote.png

Thanks for the update. I'm a real video novice, but expected the wired control to work the same way in both photo and video modes - it doesn't. Also like you, when switching on Remote enable from the video shoot6 menu, I cannot get a wired control to start video recording.

One subtle difference I notice is all references (except the one you quoted from David Busch) refers to Remote Control - which is Canon's way of saying wireless, rather than Remote Switch - which is canon's way of saying wired. I cannot track down any information that points specifically to using a Remote Switch for video.

I've checked on my EOS R too, which behaves in the same way. So I think this is by design or technical limitation.

Last edited:
Sorry- I did find that my remote was bad! I tried several others and it worked fine.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back