Your R System Images - July 2024

Hi Hali,

A treasure trove of stupendous images, each holding a wealth of interest for the viewer - you must have had a fabulous time taking these.

(Love the B&W treatments too - #4 being our favourite overall).

Great stuff - and thank you for sharing... :)

P&K
Thank you ever so much, Phil and Karen! I have to say, I loved being able to do BNW justice there, there is almost always so much color it was nice to have some monochrome to work on textures and shapes.

Hali, you make me want to roam Yellowstone! It's been years since I've been out west and I've never had real photo gear with me. I've never considered myself a landscape shooter so I should really open my eyes to opportunities closer to home. But more distant places are, of course, always more interesting.

FYI a few of the images are slightly rotated CCW; it could be that I notice it more than others do. The two barns and the reflected lake for instance; in the barns it's a major distraction to me and in the lake it's barely noticeable (but present).
Thank you so much, Anton! That's a big complement to me that you feel the urge to go roaming there. And I do appreciate the comments on the rotation. I had already heard about the barns not being straight and have had the discussion about the angulation with some people in a critique group. There is a slight catch 22 there. If I straighten the land in front of the barns the mountains are angled wrong but if I don't the barns are messed up. I will go rework it and see if I can change it. As to the lake, thank you, I hadn't noticed that!

_G8A2749_DxO.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 1250
_G8A2734_DxO.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 4000
_G8A2732_DxO.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 4000
_G8A2793_DxO.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 5000
_G8A2800_DxO.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 4000
_G8A2987_DxO.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 373.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1000
_G8A3005_DxO.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 2000

Shooting from a boat has it’s advantages.

Hi Only RF,

A terrific set of very colourful and detailed actions shots - nailed on focus and a joy to behold.

Looks like you had a great deal of fun (which is what it's all about!) - thank you for sharing... :)

P&K
A bit of a late reply. Good to hear. Sometimes I wondered what was going on with my gear. I just wasn't getting those crisp shots consistently. Sometimes it can be heat haze in the most unexpected scenes. You sent me an R5 RAW of bird which processed using my normal procedures and it came out great. So I knew it wasn't something with the developing.

I didn't use the R6II as much as my R7. For reach the 1.4 lived on the 100-500 and R7. I think I was too far from the subjects and tried to crop too much. I had read that with the TC it starts to limit the crop amount. So this year I took the TC off that combo and it crops much better. I do use it on my R6II because I do get good results more consistently. I am going to use the R6II more for birding and see how things go.

Thanks again

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back