AEB on R10: Is it really ment to be this difficult?

Martin-H

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Alf Martin Haugaa
Hi.
Joined today, because I have just bought a R10.
Coming from a Panasonic LX100. That had a AEB (automatic exposure bracketing) which could be switched on and off very easily, two clicks, and it remembered the settings, no need to define each time it was activated. I used it a lot.
But on the R10 it seems like I each time have to:
- go into menu and both activate and set the desired settings for AEB
- AND I also have to activate continuous shooting (or whatever it is called in English)
To go back to single-shot, both steps has to be done again.
Is this really how it is ment to be?

Another finding: I did configure the quick-menu setup (directly translated from Norwegian, the one activated with the Q/Set button), saved it, but the camera does not remember this setup after switching it off. It goes back to default setup. No point in configuring this menu if it does not remember....

Martin
Norway

Last edited:
Hey Martin, not familiar with the R10 BUT do you have 'C1, C2, C3' worth trying to save your configuration to one of those. Just a thought

Yes, there are certain settings (like focus bracketing and exposure bracketing) that the camera does not keep after powering down. The manual mentions these.

Assuming the R10 has similar controls to my R7, I was just playing around to see how one could easily do what you want. The R3 has a dedicated button press combo for AEB which I was hoping could be duplicated in the R7 menu but I don't see a way. :(

Yes, there are certain settings (like focus bracketing and exposure bracketing) that the camera does not keep after powering down. The manual mentions these.

Assuming the R10 has similar controls to my R7, I was just playing around to see how one could easily do what you want. The R3 has a dedicated button press combo for AEB which I was hoping could be duplicated in the R7 menu but I don't see a way. :(
Thanks for your info & effort, Anton👍

I did notice on the R7, menu orange camera 1, there is a setting for Bracketing auto cancel. I have it set to On, but apparently turning it off would allow the camera to stay in AEB when you turn it back on. Not really a major improvement but if it makes the difference between a C mode having AEB or not, then it's at least good to know about.

It would be really nice to have a custom button function that would let you dial in some AEB or dial it back to zero. That is essentially what the R3 has; you hold two buttons at the same time and dial in as much of an AEB spread as you want. Dial it back to zero and it's disabled. It really couldn't be any easier to use. But on the R7 the only access to AEB I can find is through the menu. Might as well add AEB to your star menu.

I had another look on the R7. Where AEB is sometimes bundled with EC, I can't see a way to piggyback on EC with a custom button or dial. It also is not available as a setting in Register/recall shooting func which BTW is a really useful feature to explore.

Best I can see (other than using a C mode) is:
- add it to your green menu
- set green menu 2 Menu display to Display from My Menu tab so the right page always comes up (to the last green menu item, at least)
- maybe disable Bracketing auto cancel

Then as long as it's the last green menu item you used, it's Menu, Set, main dial (for the width of the bracket), Set, and you're done. That doesn't address continuous shooting, though. A C mode really seems like a better solution. Maybe you could put one of your C mode configurations into register/recall and therefore free it up for AEB?

Register/recall is the bomb for a fast and temporary configuration change. Just hold down the assigned button (I use DOF preview) and you get a slate of new settings. The list is heavy on the AF and exposure options, and omits things like shutter mode, AEB, and drive mode, but if the configuration you want is covered by the list then it's really cool. Way faster than using a C mode. I have a "snapshot" mode programmed so that no matter what I am doing I can have 1/125, f/5.6, AWB, Auto-ISO, and a few others at the touch of a button.

Customize buttons - choose your button - register/recall shooting func - detail set - then enable and set the options you want.

I had another look on the R7. Where AEB is sometimes bundled with EC, I can't see a way to piggyback on EC with a custom button or dial. It also is not available as a setting in Register/recall shooting func which BTW is a really useful feature to explore.

Best I can see (other than using a C mode) is:
- add it to your green menu
- set green menu 2 Menu display to Display from My Menu tab so the right page always comes up (to the last green menu item, at least)
- maybe disable Bracketing auto cancel

Then as long as it's the last green menu item you used, it's Menu, Set, main dial (for the width of the bracket), Set, and you're done. That doesn't address continuous shooting, though. A C mode really seems like a better solution. Maybe you could put one of your C mode configurations into register/recall and therefore free it up for AEB?

Register/recall is the bomb for a fast and temporary configuration change. Just hold down the assigned button (I use DOF preview) and you get a slate of new settings. The list is heavy on the AF and exposure options, and omits things like shutter mode, AEB, and drive mode, but if the configuration you want is covered by the list then it's really cool. Way faster than using a C mode. I have a "snapshot" mode programmed so that no matter what I am doing I can have 1/125, f/5.6, AWB, Auto-ISO, and a few others at the touch of a button.

Customize buttons - choose your button - register/recall shooting func - detail set - then enable and set the options you want.
Thanks again. I wonder if menus on R7 and R10 are'nt the same, as I can't find having any Register/recall option. Or I just don't find it due to language - my menu is in Norwegian.
However, I think I can live with the C1/C2 configured with/without AEB and cont shooting.
Nevertheless, I think it's a mistake from Canon not to automatically activate cont shooting when AEB is activated.

It’s this one:
IMG_3901.jpeg
  • iPhone 13 mini
  • iPhone 13 mini back dual wide camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/51 sec
  • ISO 500

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back