Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
When my wife and I are at airports on a layover or waiting for the next flight I like to go wander around. She usually asks, "so how long will you be? Don't forget we start boarding in 45 minutes." I wander off and eventually get a text saying I better hurry back. But I do get off a few shots. This is a mix of Bush IAH in Houston and the Frankfurt airports. I tend to lean towards wide angle lenses for these kinds of shots.

2023-042-0003 Provence trip-Enhanced-NR.jpg 2023-042-0006 Provence trip.jpg 2023-042-0007 Provence trip.jpg 2023-042-0012 Provence trip-Enhanced-NR.jpg 2023-042-0019 Provence trip.jpg 2023-042-0024 Provence trip.jpg 2023-042-0032 Provence trip.jpg 2023-042-0033 Provence trip.jpg 2023-042-0035 Provence trip.jpg 2023-042-0043 Provence trip.jpg

Hi Chris, great photos. I am of the same ilk as you and wander off at airports with my wife saying the same as yours. I have many photos of inside airports and planes, including Dubai, Manchester, Hong Kong, LA, Las Vegas etc. I will drop a few on here and help keep this thread going.

I really like airports and aviation, except for the waiting part :) Nice set.

Nice set Chris. Do they ever give you a hard time walking around with your camera in the airport?

Nice set Chris. Do they ever give you a hard time walking around with your camera in the airport?
Hi Hali, just a general answer to your question. I live in Western Australia and Perth is our International Airport and there are no issues walking around with a camera taking pictures. Wherever the public is allowed to go so is my camera, even with obviously big lenses on. All airports in Australia I've been to are also tolerant of photographers. I, also, had no issues in Hong Kong, JFK, Lax, Las Vegas, or Manchester. When I was in Dublin airport though, there were armed soldiers everywhere so my camera was not used.

Hi Hali, just a general answer to your question. I live in Western Australia and Perth is our International Airport and there are no issues walking around with a camera taking pictures. Wherever the public is allowed to go so is my camera, even with obviously big lenses on. All airports in Australia I've been to are also tolerant of photographers. I, also, had no issues in Hong Kong, JFK, Lax, Las Vegas, or Manchester. When I was in Dublin airport though, there were armed soldiers everywhere so my camera was not used.
Hi Kerro! Thank you for the reply. I was wondering because I haven't had much of a problem in airports, but when my husband and I were in Italy in 2018 we were on a train station and my husband had his camera out while we were on the platform, and they nearly arrested him.

Hi Kerro! Thank you for the reply. I was wondering because I haven't had much of a problem in airports, but when my husband and I were in Italy in 2018 we were on a train station and my husband had his camera out while we were on the platform, and they nearly arrested him.
Hi Hali, That just reminded me of an instance when I was at our local Harbour, Fremantle, when an Australian battleship came in and was moored where we could walk right next to it. I was happily clicking away at it when I heard a voice from the top deck yell out, "You are not allowed to take pictures". I replied, "Sorry Mate, this is an Australian battleship paid for by Australian taxpayers money. I'm an Australian taxpayer so I own this ship". And walked away still clicking at it with my camera.

Hi Hali, That just reminded me of an instance when I was at our local Harbour, Fremantle, when an Australian battleship came in and was moored where we could walk right next to it. I was happily clicking away at it when I heard a voice from the top deck yell out, "You are not allowed to take pictures". I replied, "Sorry Mate, this is an Australian battleship paid for by Australian taxpayers money. I'm an Australian taxpayer so I own this ship". And walked away still clicking at it with my camera.
Ha! I love that!! You go.

Ha! I love that!! You go.
I do take some liberties sometimes but I will stop if asked a second time. Same as taking pictures of Police etc. As long as they are not attending emergencies, (and I don't have a PRESS badge) then we are pretty free with our cameras in my experiences.

Only airport I have had issues with as far as photography was Frankfurt. Not out in the open areas but I tried to take a picture of the display at the store selling a lot of Leica cameras and a guy started shouting at me in German. I also tried to take a picture of the McDonalds restaurant that had a poster advertising a beer special and was told it was not allowed. Perhaps there are some kind of privacy laws in Germany or something. I did manage to grab the shot though!

Attachments

• 2017-037-011Namibia trip 2.jpg
    2017-037-011Namibia trip 2.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 37

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back