Weddings and a No from me

This reminded me of a time I took pictures (not photographs) of a couples wedding, my wife and I are still dear friends with.

Using Microsoft Movie Maker I assembled the pictures in various sequences and added musical soundtracks, various downloaded video clip and made a DVD for them....I even had a blooper/out-takes reel at the end. They loved it and still talk about it.

That's the thing, I did the optimisation, cropping and editing in Lightroom for my each of the photos that I took where as some of the hired pros probably just do a batch conversion (if they actually be bothered). That makes the difference I guess. I don't know how much that these pros are charging these days, but their qualities do vary a lot from what I saw.

I shot weddings back in the film days. So...no. Never again, even though digital makes it easier in some ways. Just a total PITA shooting weddings.

I have shot 3 or 4 weddings in my time for friends and family. My last one, about 2 years ago, was from my point of view a total disaster. Nothing would go right, focus was off, the light was wrong, you name it. I ended up trashing over half my photos that day. Another one I took maybe 3000 photos and it was fine. The friends loved the photos. Even the Brides Mum and Dad liked them. I always tell them not to expect too much as I am only an amatuer. Luckily I am too old to do weddings now.

Tell him he will get what he pays for. Yes that happened to me. I said no repeatedly and finally caved. I took 6 months to prepare , primarily on how to use the flash correctly. It actually was an interesting experience. It forced me to learn about flash photography. Something I always feared because I didn’t understand it. Sure it took decent images but what happens when I’m shooting an event and things don’t go right.

That is a big part. If something goes wrong you need to dig yourself out of a hole quickly. There is no tomorrow.

I went well and eventually he became my event shooting partner. We did about 20 weddings and then I pulled the plug. To much pressure and not enough money. We were budget wedding photogs and we made that clear to clients. Look at our work. If you want $10,000 wedding shots hire a $10,000 photographer. He was 25 years younger than me but we became friends at work because of photography. He shot Canon too.

What I found. The technical side was OK but the hardest thing I found was posing people. There are the 20-30 money shots which I’d study in a Friday night and forget 75% of them by Saturday morning. Pro photography is like a job. You build a routine and over time with experience it becomes second nature. Shooting a wedding once a month was just not enough, for me anyway.

It’s demanding, especially when you know a lot of people at the event. I’m trying to concentrate on my job and people we have not seen for a while wanted to chat. The break driving from ceremony to a shooting location was such a nice break. 10-15 minutes but that little break was like heaven.

What did I learn? I gained a whole new respect for working pros. I have to admit I felt a little bad knowing I was taking work from them. We did it to earn a little side money for photo gear but it still was not worth it. We got $750 each for the job but add a week of editing post event as well. Leave it to the pros.

Have done a few family / friends weddings over the years, 'vowed' I would never do another, unbelievably stressful (you only get one chance to catch 'that look / expression' you can't retake it or set it up later.)

Year before last I lost a close work colleague - his daughter was due to get married and after the funeral they had little funds left so I did it as a favour to his wife and daughter - explained before hand that I was NOT a people person but I would do my very best for them. My wife and I gave them nearly a 1000 processed photo's which they absolutely loved and they insisted on paying us £500 for (we donated it to my late friends favourite charity).

If you explain to them that this is not your thing and they understand that - do it to the best of your ability and don't doubt yourself. Just my opinion ;-)

Have a good friend who enjoys my storm photography and other general shots.

Said hey mate you wouldnt like to take some outdoor wedding photos for us would you?

I said nah not that good its your special day well second time actually.

Divorced lost the shirt of his back etc etc no much coin at moment.
He said we cant really afford a proper photographer, doesnt have to be expert quality only 20 people in attendance.

So hes gonna try a few others and get back to me.

Or should i help a mate out and just do best i can.
R6ii 70/200 2.8 L 24/70 2.8 L no flash but maybe not needed as early afternoon, probably got good enough gear to fluke a few good ones but not the experience
As an amateur I usually stick with landscape or local wildlife. People, not so much. With that said, I just finished some pre-graduation photos for a friend/co-worker. With her daughter and her 4-friends in tow, we hit their elementary school, their middle school and their high school. 665 photos later and a lot of fun taking those photos, mom and young ladies were happy with the photos and the over all shoot. Would I shoot a wedding for a friend? Not a chance! Nothing like pissing off a new bride on her special day. Would I hesitate with another graduation type shoot or something similar? Nope! I learned a lot from this photo shoot I know where I would improve on future attempts. All involved had fun.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back