Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Roxanne Baggott
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
My grandson is graduating from high school and wants to study photography. His parents are getting him an r5 for graduation and we want to get him a lens. We are torn between the 24-105 f/4 and the 24-70 f/2.8. We are absolutely willing to spend the extra money if the 24–70 would be a better choice for him. He doesn’t yet know what type of photography he would most love. We know there’s not a lot of specific information to go on here, but would really appreciate any thoughts from the group

Hi Roxanne,

Any reason for limiting the choice to these two lenses? IMHO, a wider focal length lens could help grandson learn more about aspects of photography in a much practical way. I'd recommend the Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM lens. This lens will give him more reach on the tele end and when R5 is set to crop mode it will even extend up to 384mm, yet will still maintain a reasonable resolution. On the contrary I'd include in the package a wide angle lens: RF 16mm F2.8 STM. With these two lenses he will also have the chance to become acquainted with the difference between zoom lenses and prime lenses. Just thinking out loud! :)

Hi Roxanne,

Any reason for limiting the choice to these two lenses? IMHO, a wider focal length lens could help grandson learn more about aspects of photography in a much practical way. I'd recommend the Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM lens. This lens will give him more reach on the tele end and when R5 is set to crop mode it will even extend up to 384mm, yet will still maintain a reasonable resolution. On the contrary I'd include in the package a wide angle lens: RF 16mm F2.8 STM. With these two lenses he will also have the chance to become acquainted with the difference between zoom lenses and prime lenses. Just thinking out loud! :)
Those are options. I didn’t even think of. Thank you so much for that.

100% agree with the RF 16mm f2.8. It makes a reasonable astrophotography lens, is a great street lens even in low light, and produces great landscape shots, too. It's not as sharp as the other two you listed, but I personally think it's a lot more fun! Plus, right now B&H has it new for just $199, which is even cheaper than refurbished from Canon.

If he's going to actually study photography, as in a real job in photography the RF 24-70 f/2.8 is pretty much the basic starter professional lens that he needs.

He'll add other more specialized lens as his needs and interests grow. The first lens definitely won't be the last. But I own both the RF 24-105 f/4 and the RF 24-70 f/2.8 and the 24-70 is definitely a step up in sharpness and low light capability. I also think the autofocus is faster on the 24-70.

You might also tell his parents to wait just a bit longer and go for the R5 mkII which should be out in August. It's available for preorder on most photo and video websites now.

But, there's two other lenses that you should consider. The 28-70mm f/2 and the 24-105 f/2.8 are also great professional lenses. The 24-70 f/2.8 is probably the best all around professional level lenses in the category for the money.

Don't forget the fast memory cards, extra batteries, and a good camera bag.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back