Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi all, this has been bugging me for a while and no matter what I do I can't seem to fix it.
I have 3 monitors I use with my computer (I know, woe is me 😂) 2 are older NEC MultiSync monitors, one is a wide angle the other (the oldest) is a normal gamut. My newest monitor is a BENQ 2K monitor. The BenQ and the wide gamut look pretty close, but not identical, but on the "normal" gamut NEC the colors always look very washed out. This goes for lightroom, PS, and all my web browsers. I regularly calibrate the monitors. I use the NEC Spectraview for the two NEC monitors, and I use an iDisplay Pro with Palette Master Software from BenQ.
Any ideas how to fix this, or if it is fixable without having 3 of the same monitors?

TIA

Hi all, this has been bugging me for a while and no matter what I do I can't seem to fix it.
I have 3 monitors I use with my computer (I know, woe is me 😂) 2 are older NEC MultiSync monitors, one is a wide angle the other (the oldest) is a normal gamut. My newest monitor is a BENQ 2K monitor. The BenQ and the wide gamut look pretty close, but not identical, but on the "normal" gamut NEC the colors always look very washed out. This goes for lightroom, PS, and all my web browsers. I regularly calibrate the monitors. I use the NEC Spectraview for the two NEC monitors, and I use an iDisplay Pro with Palette Master Software from BenQ.
Any ideas how to fix this, or if it is fixable without having 3 of the same monitors?

TIA
This may well be the expected behavior and the fundamental difference between monitors with different gamuts. I have a 27" NEC which I calibrate with SpectraVision using i1 Display Pro. When I view images using applications that are not color space aware, the colors look garish. But in Lightroom or Photoshop, they look fine. To eliminate the difference between at least the NEC monitors, you may consider changing the gamut setting on the wide gamut (most likely almost Adobe RGB) one to sRGB and see how it compares to the normal gamut (most likely sRGB). After calibrating them to the same brightness levels and color settings, see if they appear closer.

I have several writings on my site about calibration and workspace environment.

This may well be the expected behavior and the fundamental difference between monitors with different gamuts. I have a 27" NEC which I calibrate with SpectraVision using i1 Display Pro. When I view images using applications that are not color space aware, the colors look garish. But in Lightroom or Photoshop, they look fine. To eliminate the difference between at least the NEC monitors, you may consider changing the gamut setting on the wide gamut (most likely almost Adobe RGB) one to sRGB and see how it compares to the normal gamut (most likely sRGB). After calibrating them to the same brightness levels and color settings, see if they appear closer.

I have several writings on my site about calibration and workspace environment.
Hi Cemal! Thanks for the quick reply. I should have written that I have the gamut setting on the wide gamut to the SRGB when I first got the monitor, I never noticed this much of a difference until after I got the BenQ which I can't get to match either, but that's probably because it's a 2K monitor as well as not being NEC (sadly NEC is not making monitors anymore). THen again, maybe that's changed and I should go check it. Thank you for the idea!

I will go to your site and read some of the articles you have there too.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back