Birds A few kingfisher shots taken with the R5 + RF 100-500

Fantastic photos Timothy, I had never seen a Kingfisher in the flesh (or feather more accurately) in 55 years until last year. I saw one at Tophill Low Nature Reserve and managed to get some decent shots. Then I got some at Whisby Nature Park near Lincoln, but that was with my 1Dx MkII and Sigma 150-600 C. I'm desperate to get back out now I've got my R5 and RF 100-500, I only hope I can get some shots as good as yours.

Beautiful bird and super images! Curious what your settings were?

Lovely images. I've been debating this lens for a few weeks now. This doesn't make it any easier. I'll have to stick with my Sigma 150-600 for the time being, but look forward to seeing more.
Cheers Jim. It is a lovely lens.

Fantastic photos Timothy, I had never seen a Kingfisher in the flesh (or feather more accurately) in 55 years until last year. I saw one at Tophill Low Nature Reserve and managed to get some decent shots. Then I got some at Whisby Nature Park near Lincoln, but that was with my 1Dx MkII and Sigma 150-600 C. I'm desperate to get back out now I've got my R5 and RF 100-500, I only hope I can get some shots as good as yours.
It sounds like you are quickly making up for those 55 years Stuart! :) They are very tricky to catch in the wild, they are normally long gone before you even see them. I like using the hides sometimes but don't get the same reward as snapping one in the wild. I almost got a shot of a local kingfisher a few weeks back, I spotted it perched and brought the camera slowly up to my eye but it flew off before I hit the shutter button! :(

Beautiful bird and super images! Curious what your settings were?
I think I was using l + tracking which was working well here, I have the initial position set to the centre as well. I also have eye af assigned to the AF-On button. For birds hidden amongst the branches I prefer spot af to hit focus first then I'll try eye af to see if it hits the eye.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back