Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mark Seymour
City/State
Rutland
Hi All

looking for a bit of advice. I am going on a Birds of Prey workshop tomorrow. Will be using my R6 MKii. So am looking for advice on settings for capturing birds in flight. Will also be using the RF70-200 2.8 and the RF100 - 500.

Hi Mark,

From this site:

The best Canon EOS R6 II settings for birds in flight:​

• AF Zone: Flexible Zone 1 (medium size)
  • Subject Tracking: on
  • Subject to Detect: Animals
  • Eye Detection: Auto
  • Switching tracked subjects: 0
  • Servo AF: Case Auto
  • Lens drive when AF impossible: on
  • Drive: 20fps / 40fps (electronic shutter)
  • Stabilisation: Off (or Mode 2)
For me, I use the AF button set to Spot AF to pick out birds with branches (or other birds/objects) about (I probably should try Flex Zone 1 just to see how well it works with BIF, though) and I set the star button to eye detection. I often use case 3 instead of auto and I use 12fps or 20fps (set to C2 and C1, respectively, so I can easily switch between the two), depending on what I'm shooting (I haven't even tried 40fps). Stabilization I usually have in mode 2 for BIF.

Here's a video I found helpful.

Anyway, have fun.

Only thing I might change above is if you're not used to tracking birds in flight then I'd consider going to the wide AF area as it will help you stay locked in on the bigger bird as it moves. I set the command wheel on my 100-500mm to allow me to change focus zones quickly in situations like this so if one isn't working well I get one that is.

And I'm guessing you won't even tought the 70-200mm.

This guy is a master bird photographer.

This guy is a master bird photographer.
Good video. One point he brings up that I forgot about is compressed RAW. I think I might start shooting in CRAW as it seems many agree that picture quality is about the same as RAW.

Thanks all, will watch the videos and learn

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back