Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
Last November I went on holiday on a Dahabiya down the Nile. I took my R5 plus 24-240 zoom, Canon M6 Mk2 and 3 lenses. First few days used my R5 exclusively soon realised carrying 1.5 kilos plus the associated bag and paraphernalia in 30+ deg heat was not well planned. The remainder of my holiday mostly used the M6 carried in a small bag with 2 lenses, probably less than 1kilo.

As this holiday was about relaxing and seeing the sights, high quality RAW images was not a priority, other than 50 images in RAW the other 1400 were JPG. And another thing, £6000 worth of equipment needs extra insurance, that adds to the holiday cost. While in transit all my gear is carried in one of those heavy duty waterproof case, another big lump of luggage.

Here is the question. When you go on overseas holidays, that are not specifically for a photo shoot, do you take your best equipment, did you regret taking or not taking it?

Last edited:
Due to Covid restrictions, my last overseas vacation was in 2019. On that trip I took my then Nikon D850 with a 35-70 f2.8 and a 24-120 f4. The camera and either lens tipped the scales well over 3.5 lbs (about 1.5 kilos). I shot both JPEG and RAW, and I'm glad that I did. But like you I questioned the weight, which was one of the reasons I decided to switch to mirrorless and the R5 specifically. I'm not sure that I'm willing to forego RAW, sightseeing vacation or otherwise, since you never know what you'll come across (particularly if the location is one that you may not return to).

With weight in mind, and the obvious advertisement of an expensive camera over my shoulder, I do sometimes wonder about a high quality point-n-shoot. Life would be simpler and my carry-on bag lighter and smaller.

Last November I went on holiday on a Dahabiya down the Nile. I took my R5 plus 24-240 zoom, Canon M6 Mk2 and 3 lenses. First few days used my R5 exclusively soon realised carrying 1.5 kilos plus the associated bag and paraphernalia in 30+ deg heat was not well planned. The remainder of my holiday mostly used the M6 carried in a small bag with 2 lenses, probably less than 1kilo.

As this holiday was about relaxing and seeing the sights, high quality RAW images was not a priority, other than 50 images in RAW the other 1400 were JPG. And another thing, £6000 worth of equipment needs extra insurance, that adds to the holiday cost. While in transit all my gear is carried in one of those heavy duty waterproof case, another big lump of luggage.

Here is the question. When you go on overseas holidays, that are not specifically for a photo shoot, do you take your best equipment, did you regret taking or not taking it?
I either take my XT3, which is a superb piece of equipment or my M5, which is also excellent. My R5, and in the past, 1DX, stayed home. So, no you're not traitor, pragmatism wins.

Last edited:
Due to Covid restrictions, my last overseas vacation was in 2019. On that trip I took my then Nikon D850 with a 35-70 f2.8 and a 24-120 f4. The camera and either lens tipped the scales well over 3.5 lbs (about 1.5 kilos). I shot both JPEG and RAW, and I'm glad that I did. But like you I questioned the weight, which was one of the reasons I decided to switch to mirrorless and the R5 specifically. I'm not sure that I'm willing to forego RAW, sightseeing vacation or otherwise, since you never know what you'll come across (particularly if the location is one that you may not return to).

With weight in mind, and the obvious advertisement of an expensive camera over my shoulder, I do sometimes wonder about a high quality point-n-shoot. Life would be simpler and my carry-on bag lighter and smaller.
if I only took my M6 I could have packed it in with my clothing luggage. My camera case looks like a piece of military equipment, security wanted to have a peek all the time.

Some years back a was on holiday with a canon SLR and a Canon IXUS 255 HS, still got it. 100 pictures on the SLR, almost 2000 on the IXUS. For instance, you be sitting on deck having a meal and something interesting comes into view, whip out the IXUS from my pocket and grab a shot very quickly. Where do you put a SLR and get it quickly?

It depends where we are going and if there will be a chance to shoot wildlife. Our last vacation abroad was way back in 2018 to Borneo and I took a Sony a7R III + 100-400 lens + 90mm macro + RX100 IV. These days with an 18 month old son and another on the way the exotic locations are off the cards for a while and I probably won't get the chance to spend too long shooting anyway, so I'll just make do with my iPhone 12 Pro but might take my Sony RX100 IV along as well since the image quality comfortably trumps my iPhone. For holidays at home in the UK I'll normally always pack the R5 + 100-500 if there's a chance to shoot any wildlife.

I purposely purchased the R5 and started my collection of RF lenses to be able to capture the details and create images to meet my personal goals and satisfaction. During the research phase of this purchase, I reviewed the weight and load to be carried. I do not have nor would I at this time choose another lens system just to reduce weight for convenience. My top-of-the-line cellphone provides so many features and resolutions that that is my fallback if I decide not to take my main camera. For me, the R5 and its professional lenses are my tools of choice so I personally will pay the painful price of burden to be able to capture whatever life's opportunities present without compromise. I also carry two off-camera flashes, so the bag is heavy. Backpacks are my choice. I have two varied sizes that I can choose depending on the excursion. That's how I travel. ;) :cool:

Not much chance of serious holidays in the last couple of years, but my holiday pack is the M5 with 3 lenses. this covers all but long telephoto and is perfectly usable for the vast majority of holiday needs. The weight and space factors were the primary reasons for not lugging the 5Dii or now R6 with more than one lens and i still shoot Raw and jpg with that set-up.

If you can build a house with only a hammer...

I have an RX100vi that I use when I don't want/can't have a "pro camera" on my shoulder. I will use the best camera I have for a situation whenever that camera works for the situation. It's the breadth of the toolbox that matters, not the tool you want to grab.

always good to have it even if you don't use it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back