Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
A semi retired photographer whos been helping me out gave me advice which i use.

Take your first shot fully auto check settings check histogram then adjust to your liking/exposure.

Been doing it a bit lately as a guide.

And merry Xmas to you all from australia enjoy this very civil group. Never a harsh word spoken.

No but I use exposure simulation and I can see my basic settings in the EVF. Kinda the same thing.

However I chimp far more than Tarzan would approve.

Last edited:
So you use auto as a starting point to shoot manual? How DARE you!!! 😁

Use the tools you’ve got. There’s no right way. I do pretty much everything semi-auto. Aperture priority with a minimum shutter speed (for motion) and auto iso is my go to. Anything that I know the camera won’t give me (long exposure mostly, flash, or sports in lower light) is either full manual or manual with auto iso.

merry Xmas to you all from australia
I thought Christmas in Australia was in July? How Ridiculous, right?

I picked up my R not long after it was released and the R5 about a year after it was released and it wasn't until last August that I explored Fv Mode.

I thought Christmas in Australia was in July? How Ridiculous, right?

I picked up my R not long after it was released and the R5 about a year after it was released and it wasn't until last August that I explored Fv Mode.
im using FV alot actually

A semi retired photographer whos been helping me out gave me advice which i use.

Take your first shot fully auto check settings check histogram then adjust to your liking/exposure.

Been doing it a bit lately as a guide.

And merry Xmas to you all from australia enjoy this very civil group. Never a harsh word spoken.
Lol. After a few years of shooting, you get to know what settings are needed for different situations. So I never follow your semi retired photographer's method.

Static birds: 1/800 at 500mm/f7.1, auto ISO
BIF: 1/2000 at 500mm/f7.1, auto ISO
Bugs: 1/320 at 100mm/f11, 160 ISO w diffused flash
Studio: 1/250 at varying FL/f8, 100 ISO

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back