Birds Backyard Birding.. Nuthatches on a clever feeder.. I love the little birds.

Bert-63

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bob
City/State
Whidbey Island, WA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I never shoot birds on feeders. It's just a 'thing' I have.. This time I granted myself a waiver because the feeder looks natural and I thought it was a clever idea (not mine). The wood that the birds are perched on is driftwood from a local beach. It's in a purely natural state - it just looks wet in these images because we just ran a sprinkler.. On the non visible side I drilled one inch holes and packed them with suet and the birds love it. I liked the idea and thought you guys might too.

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

EOS-R and either the 100-400L II + 1.4X @ 560mm or the R5 with the 600mm f11.

Thanks for tip to drill on the trees, I’ll give it a try!
No! Separate piece of wood - maybe a branch or something from the forest if you don't have driftwood. I'd never drill a live tree in a million years.
:):):)

Have done this a couple of years ago, in fact made a couple of them, but I had to get rid of them as these natural feeders attracted Northern Flickers to my backyard. These woodpeckers, once a steady source of food was discovered, started claiming their territory by pounding on my metal chimney vent at early hours in the morning, waking everyone in the household, then started to build nests by drilling holes on the side of my house. These natural feeders, with my own home-made suet, were very effective in drawing birds to my backyard. If it weren't for the woodpeckers, I'd have kept them still.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 35
Have done this a couple of years ago, in fact made a couple of them, but I had to get rid of them as these natural feeders attracted Northern Flickers to my backyard. These woodpeckers, once a steady source of food was discovered, started claiming their territory by pounding on my metal chimney vent at early hours in the morning, waking everyone in the household, then started to build nests by drilling holes on the side of my house. These natural feeders, with my own home-made suet, were very effective in drawing birds to my backyard. If it weren't for the woodpeckers, I'd have kept them still.

Yep, we just did the same for the same reason. It drew the woodpeckers. Oh well - we'll still put them out when we go camping..

Yep, we just did the same for the same reason. It drew the woodpeckers. Oh well - we'll still put them out when we go camping..
Do you want to find neat holes on the side of your house by the time you come back from camping? :p

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back