PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our visit (in July, 2021) to Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint, Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with Tony Kuyper TK-9 Panels and Topaz Labs Photo AI).

You can find out more about Bamburgh Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Originally the site of a Celtic Brittonic fort, known as Din Guarie, control passed between the Britons and Anglo-Saxons several times before the fort was destroyed by the Vikings in 993. The Normans later built a new castle on the site, which now forms the basis of the present structure.

RF-S-B-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

2. Having become the property of the English Monarch, financial difficulties led to the castle deteriorating until 1894 when Victorian-era industrialist William Armstrong bought and restored it. Seen here is The Keep, the oldest surviving part of the castle (the front walls are 11 feet thick).

RF-S-B-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 39.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

3. Visionary inventor and philanthropist, William George Armstrong used his wealth to transform Bamburgh into his vision of the archetypal castle. It now houses his unique collection of artwork, ceramics and objets d’art.

RF-S-B-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 12800

4. The castle remains in the ownership of the Armstrong family. Seen here is part of the State Rooms, with ‘The Card Players’ by Theodoor Rombouts c. 1630, which sits at one end of the Kings Hall (originally the medieval Great Hall).

RF-S-B-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 3200

5. With continual occupation for thousands of years, Bamburgh enjoys more than its fair share of ghost stories, legends and myths. It is also believed to be the site of Sir Lancelot’s fictitious castle, Joyous Garde. (Getting there early is recommended - particularly during busy periods).

RF-S-B-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 31.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

6. In addition to appearing as itself, Bamburgh Castle has been used as a location for many TV and movie projects such as ‘The Last Kingdom’ series and ‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’.

RF-S-B-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 32.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125

(Sources: Bamburgh Castle, Wikipedia).

Another fantastic set and great history! BTW, am I wrong or is this castle on the coast (what looks like beach and surf in the lower left-hand corner of the last photo)?

Another fantastic set and great history! BTW, am I wrong or is this castle on the coast (what looks like beach and surf in the lower left-hand corner of the last photo)?
Hi Mike,

Cheers - much appreciated!

Yes, it's on the north east coast of England - just off-shore are the Farne Islands and a little north is Holy Island (on which sits Lindisfarne Castle/ Priory).

There are various iconic shots to be had from the shoreline - time and other commitments precluded us from getting these - something to return for... :)

P&K

Fabulous images! I love to see all the different parts of the country you photograph. I feel like an armchair traveler looking at your images and reading the descriptions. If you don’t already you should sell PDF’s or books of these places to people who want to learn about them but can’t visit

Images from our visit (in July, 2021) to Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint, Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with Tony Kuyper TK-9 Panels and Topaz Labs Photo AI).

You can find out more about Bamburgh Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Originally the site of a Celtic Brittonic fort, known as Din Guarie, control passed between the Britons and Anglo-Saxons several times before the fort was destroyed by the Vikings in 993. The Normans later built a new castle on the site, which now forms the basis of the present structure.

View attachment 27216

2. Having become the property of the English Monarch, financial difficulties led to the castle deteriorating until 1894 when Victorian-era industrialist William Armstrong bought and restored it. Seen here is The Keep, the oldest surviving part of the castle (the front walls are 11 feet thick).

View attachment 27217

3. Visionary inventor and philanthropist, William George Armstrong used his wealth to transform Bamburgh into his vision of the archetypal castle. It now houses his unique collection of artwork, ceramics and objets d’art.

View attachment 27218

4. The castle remains in the ownership of the Armstrong family. Seen here is part of the State Rooms, with ‘The Card Players’ by Theodoor Rombouts c. 1630, which sits at one end of the Kings Hall (originally the medieval Great Hall).

View attachment 27219

5. With continual occupation for thousands of years, Bamburgh enjoys more than its fair share of ghost stories, legends and myths. It is also believed to be the site of Sir Lancelot’s fictitious castle, Joyous Garde. (Getting there early is recommended - particularly during busy periods).

View attachment 27220

6. In addition to appearing as itself, Bamburgh Castle has been used as a location for many TV and movie projects such as ‘The Last Kingdom’ series and ‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’.

View attachment 27221

(Sources: Bamburgh Castle, Wikipedia).
Very nice set of photos. I visited Bamburgh a long time ago when traveling to Morpeth on business. I unfortunately did not have a camera with me as I had no room for a film SLR and lenses. I also visited in July and had a very similar day with significant sunshine.

Fabulous images! I love to see all the different parts of the country you photograph. I feel like an armchair traveler looking at your images and reading the descriptions. If you don’t already you should sell PDF’s or books of these places to people who want to learn about them but can’t visit
Hi Hali,

Thank you for those very kind words, knowing that people are enjoying sharing our travels is rich reward indeed. :)

P&K

Last edited:
Very nice set of photos. I visited Bamburgh a long time ago when traveling to Morpeth on business. I unfortunately did not have a camera with me as I had no room for a film SLR and lenses. I also visited in July and had a very similar day with significant sunshine.
Hi Don,

Cheers - appreciated!

Trust you had a fun visit - and well done on the sunshine… :)

P&K

Another fine set of images, love the rich tapestry of colour you've wrung out of the raw file, very nice.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back