gudgoin

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jon
For those of you who might have some down time with your older R, now that the R5 & R6 have pushed it to the back of the bag, one of the part time jobs I've given mine is Zoom Cam. Using an Elgato 4K Camlink, I run the R to my iMac Pro via HDMI and, with its clean out, get a beautiful cinematic image, with a softened background, high sensitivity, and option for super wide to narrow view. I most often use the RF 35/1.8, as it's small and light, while providing the option of a nice, selective DOF. But I've also used my EF14.2.8L to capture a larger environment with multiple speakers. It might be a bit of overkill, but you will have the nicest image on your next Zoom call ;) I just like using my gear vs. it sitting in the camera drawer!

I used my mkIV as a webcam via USB and it works great. An expensive webcam for sure but it looks amazing.

When I'm doing my day job, working from home, I use my R5 and RF 50mm f/1.2L lens as a webcam 😂

A pretty expensive setup but I always get asked why I look so good compared to everyone else - and I mean picture quality not my rugged good looks 😂😂

Now I have the R6 as well I'll probably switch to that as my daily webcam for work.

I've used my EOS R and RF 35mm with a CamLink this way for about a year and a half now. I recently picked up an EOS RP and it has now been relegated to webcam duty so I don't have to keep swapping my R in there every time I need to make a video call.

I 3D printed a little wall mount bracket that holds an old ballhead from a gorilla pod with an arca clamp on it, so I have a permanent mount on the wall right behind my monitors.

I've used my EOS R and RF 35mm with a CamLink this way for about a year and a half now. I recently picked up an EOS RP and it has now been relegated to webcam duty so I don't have to keep swapping my R in there every time I need to make a video call.

I 3D printed a little wall mount bracket that holds an old ballhead from a gorilla pod with an arca clamp on it, so I have a permanent mount on the wall right behind my monitors.
Damn that's a good idea 😂 I squeeze my tripod behind my 2 monitors

Damn that's a good idea 😂 I squeeze my tripod behind my 2 monitors
That's exactly why I designed and printed the mount! I was tired of squeezing my travel tripod back there.

Thingiverse link here if you have access to a 3D Printer:

That's exactly why I designed and printed the mount! I was tired of squeezing my travel tripod back there.

Thingiverse link here if you have access to a 3D Printer:
I don't but thanks mate :)

I use a cheap web cam that sits in top of my monitor. I've never thought about using a decent camera.

I'm not going to start using £4k of camera for low quality Zoom, that sounds like the worse case if overkill ever.

In any case, to be able to have the cam in the best possible position it needs to be in the middle of my monitor. How am I going to put a big thing like a R camera in the middle of my 24 inch monitor and still see the screen? 🤣🤣🤣

I use a cheap web cam that sits in top of my monitor. I've never thought about using a decent camera.

I'm not going to start using £4k of camera for low quality Zoom, that sounds like the worse case if overkill ever.

In any case, to be able to have the cam in the best possible position it needs to be in the middle of my monitor. How am I going to put a big thing like a R camera in the middle of my 24 inch monitor and still see the screen? 🤣🤣🤣
That's great, stick to your screen mounted camera. :)

I don't have one so I utilise a tool I already have, my day job consists of me sitting in countless meetings and therefore it means my camera will be sitting doing nothing.
As a result I put it to good use and use it as my webcam. I use R5 and RF 50mm f/1.2L and the quality is fantastic.
I can also control the exposure, utilise eye AF for focus and adjust the ISO as needed to maintain a good picture.

That's great, stick to your screen mounted camera. :)

I don't have one so I utilise a tool I already have, my day job consists of me sitting in countless meetings and therefore it means my camera will be sitting doing nothing.
As a result I put it to good use and use it as my webcam. I use R5 and RF 50mm f/1.2L and the quality is fantastic.
I can also control the exposure, utilise eye AF for focus and adjust the ISO as needed to maintain a good picture.
Its a good idea to use a quality camera. Using something comparable to broadcast quality for Zoom is a bit too far. I attend many Zoom and the quality of video leaves me in dispare. Usually the cam is fine, just. Its the cam position, lighting, focus, and the use of a phone the user seems incapable of keeping in one position for more than 3 seconds, and the accumulation of crap in the background that totally ruins the experience

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back