Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Have two barn owls in a shed on the farm.

Looking to photograph them ive been told a low power torch will be fine and not startle they will look out of interest.
A chap said go to said shed a few nights running with torch and they may get used to it as well.

Anyone advise im sure a flash on camera would make them bolt in hurry.

Have two barn owls in a shed on the farm.

Looking to photograph them ive been told a low power torch will be fine and not startle they will look out of interest.
A chap said go to said shed a few nights running with torch and they may get used to it as well.

Anyone advise im sure a flash on camera would make them bolt in hurry.

I might try a flash...but I wouldn't want to subject the birds to repeated flashes. But you're right, it might make them bolt (but a least you'd get one good shot). With the torch, you might use a red filter to lessen the glare. Interesting article.

I've shot birds using a flash but never owls. I find they take off from raising my arms instead of a flash. If they do take off won't they come back? Getting birds used to your activities always helps.

What is your primary concern. AF or noise? A flash in dark environment may look less natural. I've used a flash during the day in dark canopies to add a little light, not be the main source. Have you tried without any torch, etc? With a good exposure that todays Noise Reduction AI apps that may do the trick.

You are very lucky to have the Owls in your shed and the first question you should be asking is which is more important, you having them stay there long term or getting a photo. Barn Owls are active during daylight hours when they are feeding young. Forget the shots in the shed and watch them outside.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back