• 1/640 sec
  • ISO 400
Bittern2 800mm crop.JPG
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/18
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 1250

I couldn't figure out how to include a comment with the photos!
I took these yesterday - the first time I've ever seen a bittern.
R7 with 100-400 at 400mm f10 1/640 ISO400; then with 2x extender at 800mm f18 1/640 ISO 1250 and I was surprised at the colour difference between the images. Any thoughts?

Were you in auto white balance?

It would be interesting to see these shots cropped to the same framing, showing the bird clearly (same size in both). Then we would be able to compare image quality between cropping and using the 2x teleconverter (assuming focus was accurate in both shots).

Last edited:
Thanks Archibald. Yes I was in AWB. Here is another crop with the birds about the same size. I was surprised that the 800mm image is better quality when cropped in this tight.
Bittern3 800mm crop.JPG
  • Canon EOS R7
  • ISO 1250
Bittern2 400mm crop.JPG
  • Canon EOS R7
  • ISO 400

Yeah, interesting! The one with the 2x TC looks better.

Since you mention AWB I assume you were shooting in .jpg format. The camera's software that edits .jpg image files is the cause. There are lots of factors that go into how it interprets an image. In RAW they would be roughly the same although the exposure might vary due to the metering taking in a larger field of view on the 400mm shot.

Since you mention AWB I assume you were shooting in .jpg format. The camera's software that edits .jpg image files is the cause. There are lots of factors that go into how it interprets an image. In RAW they would be roughly the same although the exposure might vary due to the metering taking in a larger field of view on the 400mm shot.
Thanks for ressponding Chris and for the insights. I was shooting in both .jpg and CRAW and you are right they are roughly the same - I'm very much learning at the moment!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back