mtpg1

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
Hi, I recently got a R3 and a canon 100-500 lens and the first proper outing shooting military Aircraft resulted in some shots having a sometimes very faint and sometimes more prominent purple circle usually slap bang in the middle of the photo. Has anyone any idea what could be causing this, Ive posted a photo as an example.
1X9A1746.jpg

Aside from a problem you face, it also pointed at a problem my vision may have. When I directly look at the center of the image, I do not see the colored circle. However, when I look at the edge of the screen, I can clearly see it. Age may explain it!

I can see it clearly and looks like it might be something on the sensor. Take it back to the shop you purchased it from and let them sort it.

Aside from a problem you face, it also pointed at a problem my vision may have. When I directly look at the center of the image, I do not see the colored circle. However, when I look at the edge of the screen, I can clearly see it. Age may explain it!
Get checked for macular degeneration. I have the same problem with that picture.

Get checked for macular degeneration. I have the same problem with that picture.
Thanks for your reply however it's not just 'our' eyesight that can see it, everyone I have showed it to can see it Clearly I have been in touch with Canon and they can see it, awaiting their reply because as yet they have no idea either.

I can see it clearly and looks like it might be something on the sensor. Take it back to the shop you purchased it from and let them sort it.
Thanks for your reply Cliff, unfortunately it only happens on certain shots. up to now I can only notice it when photographing mainly grey Aircraft

Have you pointed your camera at the Sun recently?
Looks like you burned your sensor. Or if you got your camera used, perhaps the previous owner did, and that's why they sold it.

Have you pointed your camera at the Sun recently?
Looks like you burned your sensor. Or if you got your camera used, perhaps the previous owner did, and that's why they sold it.
Thanks for your reply, No havnt pointed it at the sun and it was new only three weeks ago

Sorry to hear about this, but it does look like a sensor issue - perhaps burn-in on some but not all of the pixels. BTW, have you tried another lens to confirm that the issue is camera-bound? Glad that you have contacted Canon, and please let us know the outcome.

Thanks for your reply, No havnt pointed it at the sun and it was new only three weeks ago

Could the camera possibly had been refurbished? Did you get a "good deal" on it? That circle really looks like it's exactly where the Sun would be if one were to try and take a picture of it.

Do update us when you hear back from Canon. Very interesting and unfortunate.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back