Camera Clubs

My all time favourite was a site called Digital Image Cage. I joined in about 2006 and it went under a few years after the 2008 crash. Daily online photo contest. Limited advertising and it had several categories. Scenic, B&W, Macro, People, Wildlife, Still Life, etc and Photo of the day. There was also photo of the month and those went in for photo the year. There was also a digital art category where you could do anything you wanted. As for the other entries. No over processing, in focus, level horizons, no dust, etc.

No big money to win. Just modest prizes from the sponsors for photo the month and year. What I liked. There was no waiting. You woke up, got your coffee and opened the site. You were either on the front page winning one of the categories or not. Very simple. Once you got 10 wins they would ask you to be a volunteer judge for a month. Each day you were assigned a different category. You sure learn what you up against judging between 300-400 images a day. Then your pick had to get past the head judge. We didn't now the names of members who entered.

I learned so much from that site. I used to shoot a lot of still life and urban scenes. Over time I switched to wildlife/birding because of the challenge. I still try to shoot still life, etc but it just does have incentive it used to.

I tried other sites but you have to wait a week, dig through pages and lots of advertising to try find if you won and so on.

Clubs allow face to face interactions, field trips, live meetings, etc. no web site will ever replace clubs.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back