Can Using Tiff Instead of Jpg Files Overcome Resolution Issues?

Did you notice the colorful artifacts in the screenshot you provided? Those might show up when printed! Looks like a glitch in the software.
Yeah I think it depends a bit on the order of the steps. What one does before and after the 'enhance' command. I had another go and there aren't any artefacts now. I'll have to just play around with it a bit and see if the results are satisfactory each time. This is a 200% crop. Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 22.20.29 copy.jpg

Did you notice the colorful artifacts in the screenshot you provided? Those might show up when printed! Looks like a glitch in the software.
Or in the use. It's set to low resolution and a 4x increase with no noise suppression was done in a single pass. Nothing is magic. Sometimes it takes a bit of work to understand how to best upsize something. What works for one will not work for another.

Or in the use.

That's certainly possible.
I was going off a previous experience. I had a somewhat similar-looking but larger artifact in an image produced by DeNoise that went away after I re-processed it with the same exact settings. I contacted the support about it, and the rep confirmed that it's a glitch and the workaround is to reprocess. : /

That's certainly possible.
I was going off a previous experience. I had a somewhat similar-looking but larger artifact in an image produced by DeNoise that went away after I re-processed it with the same exact settings. I contacted the support about it, and the rep confirmed that it's a glitch and the workaround is to reprocess. : /
Yeah, I'm not saying I don't find artifacts in the topaz stuff, and Denoise in particular. I'm just saying that the presence of artifacts can sometimes be mitigated based on settings. And sometimes not.

Hi all. I have been pondering whether to buy the R5 or the R6, and after having been loaned an R6 and several lenses for a few days by my local Canon dealer I've pretty much decided on the R6. The only niggle is that 20mp sensor. Most of my work goes in magazines and websites and resolution isn't an issue, but there may be the occasional shoot that needs to be blown up. What I want to know is this: a 60mb RAW file off a 5DMkIV gives Tiff and Jpg files of approximately 80mb and 20mb respectively. It's more or less the same off an EOS R. On the R6, the RAW file is about 24mb, and Tiff and Jpg are 50mb and 10mb respectively. So if I were to take large prints off the R6's Tiff files, will this make up for the relatively lower resolution RAW files? TIA.

#R6 #resolutiontalk #TiffFiles

A cRAW of 20 Mb can end in a Tiff of 80 Gib. It's all about compression method used in the file format. Nothing to do with resolution. Both files have the same resolution. I do not think that your work will be affected in anyway by the level of compression. It's the same as should you use RAW or cRAW. The technical explanation will tell you that by using cRAW you will end information because of the compression. The reality is that you won't be able to notice the difference. Compression has changed a lot over the years and the loss of information compression is minimal nowadays.

Now, a 20 Mp sensor has lower resolution than a 24 Mp sensor. But there are other parameters that go into image quality such as dynamic range. You can have a 20 Mp camera giving you better images than a 24 Mp camera. Mp is not all. Because the R6 is a newer camera than your 5D Mk IV I would say that you wont be affected by the 4 Mp difference.

Regarding upscaling. I use Corel Paintshop. I would recommend to use denoise or topaz sharpen before applying any resizing software. That change in the editing workflow will help you a lot.

Many people use just DeNoise. I mostly use Topaz Sharpen. The combination of both is very useful too.

Thanks for all the useful tips and advice, guys. In the end I decided to buy the R6, and a second lens with the difference in price to the R5. So got myself the RF24-70/2.8L and the RF14-35/4L. What I think tipped the scales finally towards the R6 was the fact that I needed to fork out for that highspeed CF express card to be able to have a backup card, even though I shoot very little video.

I will carry on with the upscaling feature in CR for now, if needed, and consider buying GigaPixel if if I have to.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back