News Canon EOS R1 and R5 Mark II Finally Announced!

Dude Paton's Preference for R5ii (over R5 & R1)

Dude Paton's Preference for R5ii (over R5 & R1)

The R5ii and R1 sport Canon's new flash mount. Does anyone know anything about these mounts and the new Canon Speedlites?

OK, I don't think I'm going to write a massive essay here, but heres the short version.

Starting in the fall of 2021, Canon introduced the Multifunction shoe (MFS) concept on every new product*. Starting with the R3, cameras had the 21 contacts of the MFS built into the front edge of the hotshoe in addition the the conventional five contacts (four Canon-specific ones behind the universal center contact). Along with the R3, they introduced the AD-E1 adapter, ST-E10 flash controller, and DM-E1D microphone as the first MFS accessories. As time went on they introduced the EL-5 as the MFS replacement for the 600EX line and the EL-10 as the MFS replacement for the 430EX line.

Cameras - except as noted - have both the MFS contacts and the 5-contact arrangement (think of it as a combo shoe), but the accessories only have one or the other. To adapt 5-pin accessories to the MFS, the AD-E1 is used. However, it's rarely actually needed. Adapting takes two forms: one is the conversion from 5-pin to 21-contact MFS, which is only needed on the R50 as it's the only camera without the 5-contact arrangement, and the other is adapting the weather-sealed hotshoe gasket of the premium flashes to the different shape of the area surrounding the new, larger hotshoes. And in this case, people have reported that the older flashes with the gasket will still squoosh into place on the newer bodies.

Bottom line is you can generally use your older flashes with the newer bodies. However, there is no way to use the newer MFS flashes with cameras lacking the 21 MFS contacts, which is every camera predating the R3 including the R, RP, R5, R6, and all DSLRs.

* The R50 has only the MFS contacts and the R100 bizarrely has only the traditional 5 contacts. All of the others have both, including the upcoming R5ii and R1.

I don't think I'm going to write a massive essay here, but here’s the short version.

Thank you, Anton.

The explanation clarifies an issue on which there is little information. Much appreciated!

… David

Store called. My R5 MkII is in (7/29) but they can't release till 8/20. Yippeee..
Gave them a deposit.

Asked if I could come down and fondle it before the 20th, and they laughed and said no.

A French you tuber, Damien Bernal, says that Canon and Adobe are joining to include Canon's own codecs into Lightroom, so that the conversion will be the same as with DPP. Here is a link to the video. I asked Yahoo to translate but it would not. So then I decided to try close caption and it did as it went. A little hard to follow but I just paused it to read the translation. He talks about Codec earlier but he gets into the Adobe/Canon partnership starting at minute 15:00. He states it at 15:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2m_04mbGFY

Someone else posted that some German presenter said the same thing but I don't have that link. Would that be something if it was true. If so I wonder if that will be specific to just those two new cameras (and on) or will it include all Canon cameras. I've been checking Canon USA and still no updates for DPP. It's still 14.8.1 and the last update was in Nov of 2023.

Excluding the R5 and R6 It used to take Adobe about 6 weeks to add RAW support and emulated camera colour profiles. Since the release of the R3 Adobe has added RAW support when or before it was shipped. I've seen that on a few other new camera releases so maybe we will know in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Someone else posted that some German presenter said the same thing but I don't have that link. Would that be something if it was true.
I seem to recall a mention in one of the video previews shot at the press launch in the US that the upscaling etc would be supported in Lightroom, but can't recall who said it. Perhaps that's one of the reasons they're holding the deliveries until August 20th - so that Adobe can get a LRC update out.

I kind of omitted part of the answer to one of David's questions. He asked about the new flashes.

I'm not exactly an expert on Canon's product lineup, but here's how it shook out on paper.

The 430EXii and 580EXii from the 2010 era turned into the 430EXiii-RT (still for sale, $300) and the 600EXii-RT. The 430 worked with both IR and radio communication, not sure about the 600. They were the end of the line for the EX series.

In 2018 the EL-100 was introduced. 5-pin foot, 26m, but it has a swiveling head which the previous 25m-ish Canon flashes lacked. And inexpensive! Optical.

In 2021 the EL-1 was introduced. Still a 5-pin foot, and even with the same 60m guide number it wasn't really the replacement for the 600 but rather a new level of premium (and expensive, $1000) flash. The real claim to fame is the recycling. It has a Li-ion battery which can dump massive amounts of power quickly (unlike the EX series which are not designed to accept current at that rate) and can pop rapidly for dozens or even hundreds of flashes depending on the power requested. It seems to be a real powerhouse. Optical and IR.

Then, after the fall of 2021 and the introduction of the MFS, Canon began to replace the other EX series flashes with EL series flashes with the MFS, as described previously. And IR was no longer supported; the EL-5 and EL-10 are radio only.

The EL-5 really doesn't give up much to the EL-1; it has pretty much the same battery and recharge circuitry. It just lacks the cooling fan.

The EL-10 is back to using AA batteries like the 430.

The EX series MT and MR macro flashes have not been updated and are still for sale.

So, if you have good flashes, you can still use them. And if you don't, you can find some inexpensive EX flashes and use them, or take advantage of the faster recycle times of the new 60m flashes, or just step into the future with the newer and less expensive (than the 430) EL-10. The EL-100 looks like a very worthy successor to the 270EX line, but it is larger (that's what you get with the added swiveling features).

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back