mtpg1

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
Hi, I have just got a R3 today and when I switch the camera on it takes ages, sometimes 5 or 6 seconds before it is ready to use. soon as you switch the camera on there is a red light flashing as though it is busy doing something. Anyone any ideas why this is happening

Solution
Wild guess here, but perhaps there's something wrong with your memory card? The red light usually indicates card access.
Try formatting the card or see if you can find a completely different one (different brand/speed). Or even remove the card altogether, does it still take as long to start up?
Wild guess here, but perhaps there's something wrong with your memory card? The red light usually indicates card access.
Try formatting the card or see if you can find a completely different one (different brand/speed). Or even remove the card altogether, does it still take as long to start up?

Solution
I had similar-ish this weekend but it was more complicated than that. Suddenly towards the end of the day the card-light would keep blinking. Everything seemed to work normal, it'd just blink like crazy. Also it prevented me from adding stars to the pics ("function not available at the moment" or error message something like that)

I had both CFExpress and SD cards in, but saving pics to CFExpress only.

Things I tried:
-remove CFE -> still blinking
-remove SD (CFE in) -> Still blinking
-remove both -> no blink
-both card back -> blink
-swap new CFE card -> blink
-put the CFE in another body (R5) -> R5 blinking now

Also rebooted (and removed battery) couple times but always kept blinking.

So it was really strange that using new CFE card it was still blinking, but moving the "bad suspect" CFE card to another body also made that body to blink.

End of the day I removed battery for some >5 minutes and put in new CFE card and it stopped blinking. I feel there was something related to the card (or file stored in the card) that made the R3 FW go haywire and it'd behave wrong even with new CFE. Then longer power-down reset it properly.

Hi Kwazy Thanks very much for your reply you was spot on. it was down to a sd card. removed the sd card it seems fine now. Thanks again.

I had similar-ish this weekend but it was more complicated than that. Suddenly towards the end of the day the card-light would keep blinking. Everything seemed to work normal, it'd just blink like crazy. Also it prevented me from adding stars to the pics ("function not available at the moment" or error message something like that)

I had both CFExpress and SD cards in, but saving pics to CFExpress only.

Things I tried:
-remove CFE -> still blinking
-remove SD (CFE in) -> Still blinking
-remove both -> no blink
-both card back -> blink
-swap new CFE card -> blink
-put the CFE in another body (R5) -> R5 blinking now

Also rebooted (and removed battery) couple times but always kept blinking.

So it was really strange that using new CFE card it was still blinking, but moving the "bad suspect" CFE card to another body also made that body to blink.

End of the day I removed battery for some >5 minutes and put in new CFE card and it stopped blinking. I feel there was something related to the card (or file stored in the card) that made the R3 FW go haywire and it'd behave wrong even with new CFE. Then longer power-down reset it properly.
Hi tpatana turns out mine was down to an sd card, removed the card and it seems ok now. Thanks for your reply hope yours is behaving ok now.

Hi Kwazy Thanks very much for your reply you was spot on. it was down to a sd card. removed the sd card it seems fine now. Thanks again.

Glad it worked! I know the heavy feeling you get when your very expensive piece of equipment is not working as expected.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back