cf express card r5

quad8

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Steve
I am using cf express cards in my r5 have been for some time without any problems,now when I try to format cf card in my external reader it says is is write protected but I can still format using internal on r5 and sugestions or has anyone else had this problem.

Why would you want to out of curiosity? If you want to change to another different device can you not re-format it there?
In answer to your question though, no I haven't had a problem doing so as I haven't tried.

Hi Steve,

No idea (basically) - but as a complete shot in the dark, are there any 'protected' images stored on the card?

Guess 2 - has your PC/ Mac file manager put a 'write protect' marker on the card which the camera ignores?

(I sometimes use SD cards for other purposes/ in different cameras, but I always format them in-camera before use to ensure camera/ format compatibility).

If you do discover the actual reason, please come back and tell us what it was - it may benefit someone else in the future... :)

Phil

Hi, I have three cfexpress cards (128,256 and 512) I keep the 512gb in camera and hardly ever remove it, downloading with the EOS utility is not quick but it gives you time for a up a tea :), I have only ever reformatted in camera and remember when the cards were new they all needed a format to get them working.
Over the years i have known quite a few people who have damaged cards and camera by removing the cards from the camera hence my process.

When I bought my R5 last year, Canon had a promo of AU$300 back or a CF card with a card reader thrown in. Naturally I opted for the CF card. As it turns out the card is Sandisk 512gb Extreme Pro and the reader is a Sandisk CF reader. Wow, would cost me AU$800 + here in Australia.
Anyhow, I digress. The card formats in the R5 and gives me the usual dirs of DCIM and MISC and no issue taking photos. Formatting in the reader (I always use the reader to transfer my files to HD) does not give me the two directories when I format but when put back into the R5 the dirs are reinstated when I take the first photo. Normally I would reformat in camera but tried it in the reader for the sake of this thread and have no issues.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back