Chatsworth House (Exterior) & Gardens...

PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our recent visit to Chatsworth House, Derbyshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels. The compilations are a mix of R7 - Karen and R5 - Phil).

Images of the house interior will follow in a separate post.

Phil and Karen

1. Chatsworth, renowned for its art and landscape, is home to the Devonshire family and has been passed down through 17 generations. It has been chosen several times as Britain's favourite country house.

RF-S-CH1 -1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 43.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

2. 'Chatsworth' is a corruption of Chetel's-worth (‘the Court of Chetel’). Chetel, a norse man, was deposed after the Norman Conquest and custody passed to William de Peverel. This is the Hunting Lodge which was used by guests to view hunting activities on the (then) unwooded hillside.

RF-S-CH1 -2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125

3. In the 15th-century the Leche family acquired the land. In 1549 they sold all their property in the area to William Cavendish, Treasurer of the King’s Chamber and the husband of Bess of Hardwick. Bess began to build the new house in 1553. Sir William died in 1557, but Bess finished the house in the 1560s and lived there with her fourth husband, George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury.

RF-S-CH1 -3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 125

4. In October 1832, Princess Victoria (later Queen Victoria) and her mother, the Duchess of Kent, visited Chatsworth, where the Princess had her first formal adult dinner at the age of 13, in the new dining room.

RF-S-CH1 -4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 160

5. The Belvedere Tower, at the end of the long North Wing, was originally designed as a ballroom. One of the two boxes was used by Queen Victoria when she attended a ball here in 1843. In 1896 the 8th Duke arranged for the room to be fitted out as a theatre and between 1898 and 1907 it was used so regularly by the Prince and Princess of Wales (later King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) that the press dubbed it the ‘Theatre Royal’.

RF-S-CH1 -5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

6. The 105 acre garden is the product of nearly 500 years of carful cultivation. Grand waterworks include the 300-year-old Cascade and the impressive gravity-fed Emperor Fountain. Cavendish bananas, named after William Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire, accounted for 47% of global banana production and the vast majority of bananas entering international trade (1998 and 2000).

RF-S-CH1 -6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

7. Chatsworth has been used as a filming location for The Duchess, Pride and Prejudice and The Wolfman and for the TV drama Peaky Blinders. Chatsworth is now cared for by a registered charity, the Chatsworth House Trust, which preserves the house, garden and parkland.

RF-S-CH1 -7.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 400

(Sources: Chatsworth, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the very nice pictures and information, Phil and Karen.

Love these historical photo essays that Phil does. Oldest home in my neighborhood was built in 1978!

Love these historical photo essays that Phil does. Oldest home in my neighborhood was built in 1978!
Hi Chris,

Cheers - much appreciated! The research helps us to reflect back on what it was we've actually seen (the 'at the time' flood of info can often overwhelm).

1978 - that's quite sobering (now I'm feeling old... 😂).

Phil

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back