Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
One of the photo clubs I am in did a small workshop on creative macro water drop images. Look, it's too darn hot here in Houston for outdoor photography with full sun and 100 + degrees every darn day. So this was fun to do in a nice air conditioned classroom

Basic setup was camera with macro lens and some extension tubes pointed down at a DVD with some water drops on it. You can use a small LED lightsource or a flashlight or whatever you want as they all produce different results. The DVD has a prismatic rainbow effect when camera and lightsource are at the right angles. Of course you need to turn out ambient lights and be in a dark room.

Attachments

• 2023-034 001 TWCC waterdrop workshop-Edit.jpg
    2023-034 001 TWCC waterdrop workshop-Edit.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 2023-034 006 TWCC waterdrop workshop.jpg
    2023-034 006 TWCC waterdrop workshop.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 2023-034 007 TWCC waterdrop workshop.jpg
    2023-034 007 TWCC waterdrop workshop.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 2023-034 010 TWCC waterdrop workshop-Edit.jpg
    2023-034 010 TWCC waterdrop workshop-Edit.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 41
One of the photo clubs I am in did a small workshop on creative macro water drop images. Look, it's too darn hot here in Houston for outdoor photography with full sun and 100 + degrees every darn day. So this was fun to do in a nice air conditioned classroom

Basic setup was camera with macro lens and some extension tubes pointed down at a DVD with some water drops on it. You can use a small LED lightsource or a flashlight or whatever you want as they all produce different results. The DVD has a prismatic rainbow effect when camera and lightsource are at the right angles. Of course you need to turn out ambient lights and be in a dark room.
Pretty cool!

Those are just awesome. I’ve tried flowers and figurines but never water droplets, thank you for the inspiration!

Similar shot for opposite reasons...it was raining. A drop of water on a DVD. I used a DVD because they have more layers than CD's.

Apologies for the lack of Metadata. I'm not sure what Folder the original is in!?!?!?!?

oops.jpg

Dean and Chris, nicely done! The refraction of light and the vibrant colors make for wonderful shots.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back