Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Norman Schweitzer
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I recently acquired a Canon A1. I was looking at getting a very tired AE1 Program CLA'd. There is a local shop that specializes in Film and does repairs.. It was like walking into a camera store before digital (pre 2000). The only thing missing was the smell of developer. I ended up with an A1. While I can't use my EF lenses on it, I do have fd lenses.

I am looking forward ti shooting some film (B&W Ilford HP5)

Last edited:
My first SLR was a AE1 bought new. I still have it. I also have a FTb, don't know why I bought it used. Both now have perished rubber parts

Have Tamron 35 80 and 80 210, both now have fungus.

If it all worked I think I would try some film for old time sake.

What do you do with sentimental useless kit?

Fungus is a bitch. You can always have the cameras restored with new rubber parts. I am currently working on getting a glass display case to show my old cameras. I really like looking at them. Compared to todays cameras, they had more personality (quirks). Just consider the Nikon F1 Canon F1. You could change the Prisms.

I have some other junk knocking about. Will list it later. Having lunch now

Film was the greatest for 50+ years, but I don't want to go back. I always thought I would make one last trip to use up the last of the film in the freezer but it never happened and then I was 100% digital. I have every camera I've owned since I was 12 starting with a Mamiya fixed lens SLR, Mamiya-Sekor SLR's, and various Olympus SLR's. First Canon was an EOS630 in 94 that succombed to the lubricant on the shutter that they were notorius for. Last film camera was an EOS 5 which I thought was just the best I could imagine. I really need to build that display case.

I recently acquired a Canon A1. I was looking at getting a very tired AE1 Program CLA'd. There is a local shop that specializes in Film and does repairs.. It was like walking into a camera store before digital (pre 2000). The only thing missing was the smell of developer. I ended up with an A1. While I can't use my EF lenses on it, I do have fd lenses.

I still shoot a roll or two of film a year. It certainly makes you work slower to take the image and have patience to see the results of pressing the shutter.

I recently quit shooting with film and just started shooting digital. I suggest you take a look at “FILM Ferrania P30 Review...” on You Tube. It has a certain “look” that you might like. It is all subjective and you might not like it or it might not be suitable for your photographic style. A lot of 50’s to 70’s Italian movies were shot using it, which is why I liked it. I have an A1 and Ftbn which are now cool paperweights in their retirement years. Good for you shooting film.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back