Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
I shoot in CRAW on my R5, in this instance, with an RF 24-240. Made 54 frames all on the same day.

Copied the memory to my laptop hard drive and batch processed with DPP4 to create JPGs. 7 frames have a ? on the top of them and they will not create a JPG. Hovering over the ? the message reads, captured with a lens not compatible with this version.

Obviously the lens is compatible, all the other frames are OK, and I have done this for 100s of other frames before.

Anyone had this happen to them and found a reason or a cure?

Last edited:
Hey Greg, sorry to hear that. I don't use DPP4 so I can't offer much advice on that app, but I'm wondering if the lens contacts might need a cleaning. I understand that the other 47 images are OK, but have you checked the EXIF data to see if the lens type was recorded for the image?

No, not check that. Odd that 7 random frames have errors. I'm wondering if info got lost during transfer from memory card to laptop. Cannot retry the card has been formatted.

The only operation I did differently taking the shots compared to other times was turning the focus ring on some of the frame, cannot remember which except 1, but that's a long shot.

I will clean the contacts and check the exif data, see what happens. I'll put the pictures through GIMP see if the same errors come up

Fortunately none if the pictures are important, more concerned about not knowing why it has happened

The few pictures with errors is bugging me.

I have some faulty pictures that has some Exif info. Some are visible as a thumb nail views and previews in Win 10. As JPG they are mostly there but bottom of the picture is faulty. Will not display as a RAW picture at all. Cannot attach a JPG or CRAW, the system sees it as faulty and wont upload. I will be pleased if anyone can explain what is going on if you will accept a faulty file via email

This is so random I might refer this to Canon, anyone got a contact? I cannot find an appropriate one on their UK website

With your kit you should qualify for CPS Silver membership which includes a member hotline and email address for tech issues. That might be a good place to start. I'm really curious as to the nature of this issue, its cause and how to avoid it.

My R5 was a grey import so will not qualify. I have made contact with Canon via their Facebook page and they are assisting in this matter

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back