Birds Finally……After a several thousand tries

GaryM

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Gary Miller
I have been trying to get this image for the last 2 weeks after getting an R7 and using various EF lenses. I think I have finally found the right combination and settings. R7, EF200 2.8Lii, ISO 6400, 1/5000, f/5.6. Female Rufous Hummingbird, Salem, Oregon Oregon Rufous Hummingbird.jpeg

Very nice! Your perseverance paid off!

I have been trying to get this image for the last 2 weeks after getting an R7 and using various EF lenses. I think I have finally found the right combination and settings. R7, EF200 2.8Lii, ISO 6400, 1/5000, f/5.6. Female Rufous Hummingbird, Salem, OregonView attachment 15214
Mechanical Shutter or Electronic Shutter or 1st curtain ES? I would guess 1st Curtain ES. Nice capture!

Thank you….Actually I started using first curtain because the reviews out there are so negative on rolling shutter, But sometimes the migrating birds only give you one chance. Anyway I have found that the second highest shutter setting, coupled With silent shutter mode, and feathering the shutter off and on works pretty well. Works really well with static or slightly moving birds. With fast moving birds (like hummers and swallows) I only get around 25% keeper rate and 75% rolling shutter garbage shots, but there are a lot of those 25% shots that are good. So if noise (sound) is not an issue, first curtain. If noise is, or might be, silent electronic. Even with care I still will run into buffer issues, but I understand the limits of a less expensive camera So I only get slightly annoyed🙂

Mechanical Shutter or Electronic Shutter or 1st curtain ES? I would guess 1st Curtain ES. Nice capture!
Shoot. I don’t think I replied correctly to you! But I did answer your question on the thread. Sorry. I’m old!🙂

Thank you….Actually I started using first curtain because the reviews out there are so negative on rolling shutter, But sometimes the migrating birds only give you one chance. Anyway I have found that the second highest shutter setting, coupled With silent shutter mode, and feathering the shutter off and on works pretty well. Works really well with static or slightly moving birds. With fast moving birds (like hummers and swallows) I only get around 25% keeper rate and 75% rolling shutter garbage shots, but there are a lot of those 25% shots that are good. So if noise (sound) is not an issue, first curtain. If noise is, or might be, silent electronic. Even with care I still will run into buffer issues, but I understand the limits of a less expensive camera So I only get slightly annoyed🙂

You're welcome. I usually use ES and like you said, there are some keepers with those fast wings. I'll shoot 1st curtain ES when it is low light or to avoid rolling shutter but that R7 shutter is LOUD! I have learned to shoot short bursts so I don't fill up the buffer fast.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back