Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mark Seymour
City/State
Rutland
Hi all

Looking to get a new flash for my R6 MKII, tend to buy own brand. Anybody got any experience with the EL1 or EL5? Is the EL1 really worth the money. In the future would also be looking at a multi flash set up, so can i trigger the EL100 from and EL1 or EL5?

I'd have a hard time dropping $1000 on a flash. I haven't bought any recent Canon flash, but it sounds like the EL-1 is optimized for very heavy use, with fan cooling. The EL-5 is a full-featured flash, with the same power as an EL-1, and the Canon website shows it being used as a zone controller for other radio flashes. For the same money, I would WAY rather have three EL-5s than one EL-1!

Canon lists the EL-100 as being optically controlled! I had no idea they were still making optical flashes. If that is correct, you would not be able to control it from an EL-5. For $50 less than the EL-5, you can still buy the 430EXiii-RT which should be compatible.

I also would have a very hard time paying over 1000€ for a shoe mount flash. Unless I was a working pro of course. Especially if I were an event or wedding photographer. And then I would probably go for a battery powered monolight like an Elinchrom Three.

What are your intended uses for a flash? General photography, events, weddings etc.? More information on your intended usage would help us to give better advice.

I'd have a hard time dropping $1000 on a flash. I haven't bought any recent Canon flash, but it sounds like the EL-1 is optimized for very heavy use, with fan cooling. The EL-5 is a full-featured flash, with the same power as an EL-1, and the Canon website shows it being used as a zone controller for other radio flashes. For the same money, I would WAY rather have three EL-5s than one EL-1!

Canon lists the EL-100 as being optically controlled! I had no idea they were still making optical flashes. If that is correct, you would not be able to control it from an EL-5. For $50 less than the EL-5, you can still buy the 430EXiii-RT which should be compatible.
What’s the EL-100?

I guess it's priced for general use. A serious photog will likely spend more. Still this day and age radio can't be that much more. Using up parts left over in stock? :)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back