Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
Spent some time this weekend at a hawk watch site learning what it is about and helping to spot migrating Golden and Bald Eagles. The migrating birds fly high above the ridgeline on updrafts and thermals, so the typical view is a bird-shaped dot a couple hundred yards above you. Photos from a decent zoom lens can be handy in identification. Overall, great experience and I learned a lot, but not the best for post-worthy pics.

On the way home through Pennsylvania rural farmlands, I saw a hawk dive down into a field alongside the road ahead of me. I pulled over and just managed to take a few photos out of the car window. The first photo is a migrating Golden Eagle at 700mm and is typical altitudes of the eagles. Migrating raptors where not much better. The last four are obviously my roadside Red-tailed Hawk.

Attachments

• GoldenEagle-MigratingSouth.JPG
    GoldenEagle-MigratingSouth.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 26
  • RedtailedHawk-1.jpg
    RedtailedHawk-1.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 25
  • RedtailedHawk-2.jpg
    RedtailedHawk-2.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 26
  • RedtailedHawk-3.jpg
    RedtailedHawk-3.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 21
  • RedtailedHawk-4.jpg
    RedtailedHawk-4.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 26

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back