Shotbycurtin

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
Had a bit of a go at some panning shots of some gulls with low’ish shutter speeds. Had a bit of critism about the backgrounds being too distracting. Be interested to get some feedback on the shots especially those for and against the backgrounds.

FFE0BCD2-4FF7-414A-9215-F1F511FD5AB6.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 420.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

A2922F17-AF28-4BC4-AE6A-D34241F5D2B9.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 420.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

Personally, I like the background, especially the first one. I think it would be worth a go to try tilting the images so that the gull is flying level. I wonder if the image might then take on more of a restful, quieting effect...? Worth a try I think. EDIT--in my earlier haste I didn't realize there were 6 different images. My fav is the first one, that's the one I like level. I like the "white on white" look.

Last edited:
I like it. I can't tell exactly what the background was, but the pan makes it look like they are low flying over water.

The first one is especially nice, as the gull is separated from the background even with similar coloration. You could use a gradient filter on the lower portion to lighten the exposure a touch below the gull's wing if you think it's distracting, but that's up to you as the creative. The second one you might have to lighten the shadows or blacks overall, but I'm not sure I'd bother as it would take away from your subject.

Thank Nick, Mara, appreciated. Though not wall hangers, overall I was quite happy with them. They were good fun to snap with the gulls gliding along the river to a rock out crop in the middle. Made easier with a predictable flight path! I took a few more probably with better backgrounds but faster shutter speeds. The guy who critised initially (not on here) is a bit of a purist and doesn’t believe in processing prefering the straight from camera natural look. It’s not worth even going there tbh. so I don’t lol. each to their own. Here’s a couple more but as mentioned faster shutter speeds Thanks again for your responses, much appreciated.:)(y)

834045AE-1EB8-4150-865E-891C0867FF30.jpeg

306A1F5E-EDD6-4257-89A3-4A314F5E1656.jpeg

Here you go. Processing is a bit rough and ready on these two as I did them on my iPad using basic editing.

View attachment 4794

View attachment 4795
I like both, but I like the first one, the whiter one more. you might even select the bird and mask it out, then brighten and blur the background even more. would look nice as a "vidid metal" printed on glossy aluminum! And btw, for "purists who say they prefer straight out of the camera with no edit" I would say, "wow, what's pure or organic about a digital image created with sophisticated electronics, sensors, with in-camera jpeg processing?!?" I think it's ok to use whatever tools we have available to create images, cameras, software, ink, printers, paint, paint brushes, etc.

Last edited:
Great work with the panning Mike! I've not tried too many slow pans with birds, really must give it a go. Personally I prefer the last two shots you posted where the gulls are against the darker background and stand out more, but that's just my taste :)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back